Wilting Dahlia, help needed

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Cayuga Morning, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have a dahlia that is clearly dying. I don't know why & wonder if it could be a disease. This is a dahlia I have grown successfully the previous 2 summers.

Here are the sad photos: IMG_20180712_065822.jpg
    IMG_20180712_065841.jpg

These photos were taken 2 days ago. It is even worse today, despite the fact that I have moved it to a shady spot.

Here is where it was growing: a south facing corner of my home.
    IMG_20180712_065748.jpg

I wonder if the sun's rays were reflecting off the light grey siding of our house. We have had 90 F degree (32+ C) heat for multiple days. I have watered it faithfully, but it was wilting every day, then would perk up when the sun went down.

The only other thing I can think of is that it is supported by a tomato cage. As it began to wilt more, I plunged the tomato cage deeper & deeper in the pot. I wonder if I have pierced the tubers? But ALL of them??

Could it be sick??

In contrast, here are other dahlias growing quite contentedly.
    IMG_20180712_065853.jpg

IMG_20180713_200909.jpg

IMG_20180712_065948.jpg

IMG_20180712_070000.jpg

What do you all think could be the problem? Should I knock it out of the pot & investigate? Cut it down to the ground & see what happens? Quarantine it?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Many plants that wilt in the heat are getting too much of it. The reflection from the side of the house could be a problem, being close to the house could be letting the heat build up and without a breeze it is just sitting in heat. When the sun goes down it will pick up because the heat has lessened but ,much of the heat still there.
    The others look like they are out in the open air?
    Also, watering faithfully....does that include watering every time it wilts? Over watering will cause wilt just as quickly as under watering.

Frank likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

@toni, I think you might be right: overheating, too much sun, over-watering. At least I am hoping that is the case & it isn't a disease. I have put it in ths shade, with good air flow (I hadn't thought about that) & am only going to water when the soil dries out a bit.
    Thanks

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

That is just heat stress and is normal ! Shady location and even watering is going to help !! I didn`t see anything that looked like disease. The wilting is the plants normal defense ! IN Texas 90+ degree heat my tomatoes do that daily !

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  6. Cayuga Morning

Thanks all. I have pruned it back a bit because it really looks like it is dying. ( sad face here. I can't seem to access one on the tool bar?!)
    Hoping for the best.

2ofus likes this.