window treatment help

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by lwohitz, May 1, 2008.

1. lwohitz

lwohitz New Seed

Hi
    My husband and I are having a new home built and in our family room we have a sliding door to one side and a big window on the other side.

we plan on putting an electric fireplace in the middle.

Our problem is this..we are unsure of what to do for window treatments.. we figured we could do long drapes for the sliding door but are unsure of what to do for the window. We thought that if we just did blinds for the window it might look just too plain...

Do any of you have any suggestions?

Here is a picture of our unfinished room in the house just so you have an idea.

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi, welcome to GardenStew from north Texas. Hope you hang around to share your gardening adventures when the house is ready to live in.

The window treatment would depend on a few things. Which way it is facing and what the view is from it.
    Blinds are really good for keeping out the glare of the west sun but a nice morning sun you might want to enjoy without being blocked by blinds. If you have neighbors really close, blinds will give you privacy but if you live on acreage and don't have to worry about nosey neighbors then you might not need blinds.

It also depends on your decorating style. Personally I like a country cottage/cabin-in-the-woods motif. I would put shutters on the bottom half of the window with the upper half covered with curtains which is what I have on our west facing livingroom window.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

This is just a suggestion as I don't know how expensive it would be and what funds you have available. Have you thought of special glass for the window - the kind that allows you to see out but doesn't let others see in? You could then have any type of window covering that you want - if any at all.

WELCOME to GardenStew and do let us know what you decide to do won't you?