Winged Creatures

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by gardengater, Mar 13, 2009.

1. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

I've started several things indoors with potting mix and noticed tiny winged bugs flying around my seedlings. They don't seem to cause any damage, but what could these be?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kay
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sounds like Fungus Gnats...doe they remind you of fruit flies?

4. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Yes they do Netty. Do I need to get rid of them if they aren't doing anything to plants? Do they just come in potting mix?

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Are they tiny, like gnats? I detest them because they're bothersome, but as far as I've seen they don't harm the plants.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I did have a severe infestation in one plant I had. The plant died and when I pulled it from the pot the larvae were all over the roots. I have since read to put pieces of potato on top of the soil to trap them and replace the potato slices regularly.

7. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Wow! I'd better peel a potato! They seem to be okay for now but will do that. Thanks all!

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

GG--if these little flies are black, then you indeed need to get rid of them--especially with germinates seeds and seedlings coming along.
    The black flies live in the soil and actually flee into it when I go after them.

I do not have such a problem with them anymore...but I was thinking about cutting a piece of flypaper to fit a tongue depresser and stationing a few of those about.
    They run as fast as they fly and I believe that they would lanf on the flypaper.
    Getting rid of the soil is important, but only after you have gotten rid of the flies, otherwise they will perhaps simply lay more eggs in your new soil.

9. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

I found a solution that I'm trying for spraying on the soil. It includes mouthwash, dish soap and tobacco tea. I'll let you know if this works. Thanks for all the advice.

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Do you think that baking the soil for a while at a slow temperature would kill these pesky things? I had those with a small disk I had received with the plant. You water the disk and it grows, I am sure you know what I am talking about...it was full of them. Next time I am going to water it and after it gets the correct size, pop it into the oven at a slow temp. to kill the bugs. I threw my plant out because I had a bad infestation and I didn't want it killing or going to my other indoor plants...

11. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

That's a thought, Sherry. Let me know if that works. So far my plants have survived. I'm just watching them for now. I'd hate to throw out several seedlings.