Winter checklist

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Christopher Kris, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Christopher Kris

Christopher Kris New Seed

My son and daughter-in-law have just purchased their first house in Toronto. It is in a location that allows an easy commute into Brampton, where my son works. The house is in older suburbs adjacent to Brampton. As winter is far approaching, here's a list of tasks that needed doing.

1. Tune Up Your Heating System
    2. Reverse Your Ceiling Fans
    3. Hit the Roof
    4. Caulk Around Windows and Doors
    5. Get the door locks repaired by hiring a locksmith service.
    6. Clean the Gutters
    7. Divert Water
    8. Prepare to Stow Your Mower

These steps will help lower your utility bills and protect your investment. It'd be great to hear from you what your list of tasks would be.

2. Loading...

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I did not understand the "hit the roof" Is that to knock the snow off maybe?

4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Same here - what is 'hit the roof'? Are you talking thrown down de-moss stuff? Or hang up Christmas lights? or ?? Not getting that one but the rest are a good.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

I am in Texas with mild winters,, all I do is cover the outside fawcets !

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Out in the country, we have a few more things on our winter checklist.
    9. Split and stack the dried firewood
    10. Tune up the snowblower
    11. Put the blade on the plow truck
    12. Put on your snowtires
    13. Winterize your outdoor faucets
    14. Put away all the patio furniture

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I cleaned the gutters last week, blew all the dropped leaves away from the wall by the driveway to make it easier to clean out the snow when it comes. brought in the firewood for a few weeks after we split it last week, we just got a new furnace no need for a check up on that. I have to shut down the greenhouses and take off the shade cloth and aluminet. put away all my tools for the winter season in the big garage. pick up hoses, move all the tomato cages and stack them, cleaned the chimney, tip over the bird baths....put in driveway markers for plowing. we still have 3 implements that need to be moved... somewhere. they have been there since the fire. I would like to throw them away. a small corn planter, a brush hog and a rototiller for a small tractor. not the kind of thing to pick up and toss in the dumpster. I am thinking we don't need them since they haven't been used since the fire. should put them on craigslist maybe.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Lord I wish you were closer ! We have tried to find a tiller for our tractor (Farmall Cub) and can`t find one here ! But you are just too far.