Winter-Sowing - Can I cut the bottom off?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by kathyd, Dec 16, 2011.

1. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Has anyone cut the bottom off the milk carton and sown the seeds in the ground, and then covered with carton and weighted it down someway. I'm thinking of seeds like poppies. I know I could sow them in the carton, but thought I'd try them both ways. Just wondering if anyone has ever done this. I love poppies and plant them yearly, and usually in our heavy rains all the seeds wash away before they can become established.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Kathy, would it be possible to use a clear plastic soda bottle instead? That would allow sunlight, and you could remove the cap if things got a bit warm in there.
    Our poppies self-seed (like mad!) so I've only sowed them once, about four years ago, and that was direct sowing in December.

4. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I got some new mums this fall. I planted rudbeckia in them And also had gallon ice cream carton. pokes many holes in bottom.Few I haven't got planted yet.But strange weather.

5. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Actually I just put out some cranberry seed to feild in a pot, without a lid or dome of any kind. Cold hearty seeds often profit from a winters rest in the cold and snow. I did cover the pot with some straw to keep things damp.