Wisteria Gone

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Pianolady, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

The never blooming wisteria on my arbor is gone! I decided 12 years was enough to give it a chance. Hubby dug it out while I was out of town. What a nice surprise.

[​IMG]

Now what am I going to do with my arbor? Hmmm.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My wisteria produced two flowers this year. Not exactly what I had in mind when I bought it many years ago. Maybe it heard me threaten to dig it up and dispose of it. Hopefully, now it knows how to produce blooms, it will have a few more next year.

How about a climbing, floribunda rose (scented of course) for your arbor? I was going to replace my wisteria with one but will see how it does next year before uprooting it and consigning it to the compost heap.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I bought a Wisteria vine when we first moved here almost 9 years ago. At first, I was trying to make it into a standard after I saw a lovely photo of one. After 2 or 3 years, it hadn't bloomed and I decided to give up on the standard idea and built an arbor, at least then if it didn't bloom I would have an excuse to plant something else there :rolleyes:
    Once it had an arbor it started growing like crazy and bloomed the following year - just 2 blooms. Each year it gets a few more blooms and this year it looked great! I'm not sure where I'm going with this story LOL
    I wouldn't have patience to wait 12 years for a bloom!
    How about a Honeysuckle on one side and a climbing Rose on the other?

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

12 years??? Oh my! Such patience. It would have been a gonna after 2...maybe 3 years.

Advertisement
  6. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

like netty i was gonna suggest a honysuckle (leycesteria formosa) seen this grown around a similar structure at college and it looked great :-D

7. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I used to have a Harlequin Honeysuckle. I did like it but it was just in the wrong place. I'll have to see if I can find another one perhaps! Only thing is the aphids sure like them around here and I don't want to have to spray. Does anyone know what climbing roses tolerate cold winters? I've never had much luck with them here.

8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

PL--How about a combination of climbing roses and clematis?

I only have one climber: Rosa Zephirine douhin'. It is relatively thornless and can handle less than full sun. I love it, but perhaps there are better climbers with long bloom seasons.

9. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I've got a clematis on each corner that should really take off now that the wisteria is gone. I'll give it wire to climb. Hubby bought a climbing rose that's still sitting in the pot because we had nowhere to put it, guess I know where it can go now! The walnut tree might be the only issue. We're taking it down this fall, so there will be more sun, but I'll plant the rose as far away from the tree as possible due to the walnut tannin.