Wistful Thinking

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

There is always a little lull in the blooming cycle where the spring blooms have finished and the summer bloomers are still in bud , or not even that far. This little dip in colour I have tried to remedy with some plants that do bloom in this period.

Well I can plan what I want, but this season has had an answer to my every plan so far. I shan’t complain again about the disappointments or frustrations. Instead I will just say that many things had to be planted twice or three times to get a result. The Chelsea chop was not done this year due to the slow development of my chosen target plants. The wisteria was waaay late but produced copious bloom racemes. I pruned it slightly like every year, as I am still frying to force it to grow long to meet my requirements. I am trying to completely cover the pergola built over our sitting area. Some years we get a second blooming and even a third. Any hope of getting a second blooming bizarre season was wishful sadly.

This I wistfully thought about that lovely, bloom-less plant over my head as I sat sipping my tea on one of my “working pauses”. My neck and trapezius muscles were stiff and I sort of messaged my neck, letting my head fall backwards and I saw them....
    FAFCE35D-A129-48DA-8A2B-5DCA52BE4BB4.jpeg

These lurkers were there up close to the house...on the periphery of the pergola, just out of sight. I had to gently expose them for this foto. I broke off my pause and went for a closer look around over the entirety of the wisteria’s growing trajectory. There were more. What a happy chappy I am. You see, my wistful thinking really was worth the grief.

eileen and marlingardener like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

What a beautiful wisteria! We all ought to take time to examine our gardens occasionally. There is almost always a lovely surprise awaiting us.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Jane, you are so right. My Bride and I have made an agreement with ourselves to do just that. It’s easy to miss important things or floral accomplishments.

marlingardener likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ha ! Yes,, new weeds are popping up regularly !

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That too Mart, that too. :(