Wood stove in the Living Room--HELP!

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by KHR, Aug 17, 2007.

1. KHR

KHR New Seed

What can I do? My living room has a plain-box wood stove sitting prominently on a stone hearth with stone stretching up the wall to the ceiling. The living room is part of an open floor plan with the kitchen and dinning room, which run along one side of the living room. On the other side there's a set of french doors and a window opening out to a screened porch, and another window opening onto a deck. There's no pretty picture window or pretty fireplace to serve as a focal point for the room, and the stone hearth is big enough that you can't ignore it. How do I set up the furniture? Where can I find tips on interior design for living rooms with wood stoves?

Here is a photo:
    [​IMG]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11663550@N08/1144942892/

2. Loading...

3. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

I have the same situation and have redecorated a number of times trying to make it more of a proper "focal point". In a situation like yours, I'd first get a can of black spray paint (they sell it at the woodstove store, it's made for woodstoves" and tidy up that stovepipe. Since you are in Fla, so probably want to keep things light and airy, perhaps you could discuss with them how to paint the faux stone a soft ivory color. If it's real stone, you could paint the grout. In warm weather you could screen off the stove completely. Here's a neat idea too http://www.decoratingsecrets.net/eclectic.html Maybe he woodstove paint comes in ivory? Don't know. But I do know they make a heatproof board that could work for this style.

4. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

My in-laws have something like this, and they solved it with tall bookcases on either side of it and a fluff of greenery from large houseplants, plus they later added two small windows high up, one on either side to bring in light as in their case that was the south side of the house.

I've seen another that likewise had added windows, two round porthole ones, and it looked pretty funky. They'd decorated by painting the wall with the stove a vibrant color and had large beanbag furniture that softened the angular look.

You can add a point of interest to your stove with some nice accessories like an interesting steam kettle (my dad has one that looks like a brass dragon, the steam comes from his nose) or a nice fireplace tool set with decorative handles, a decorative log-holder, etc.

On the good side, I think it looks like a very nice stove, and the hearth is well made - should keep you very toasty in the winter. :)

5. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

The first thing that came to my mind too was built-in bookshelves, or even entertainment center combination covering the entire wall. I'd make the entire wall a focal point, so the stove/stone fits in.

Actually, if built ins aren't in the budget right now, even painting that wall an accent color (pull a brown out of the stone) would also help, and would be relatively inexpensive.

Advertisement
  6. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Ooo, yeah, wouldn't a rich gold picked out of the stone color just look awesome as an accent wall? Mm, then royal blue curtains with gold stripes in them...

7. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I was bored and came up with something like this. If you put a black border (I'd use wood) along the stone, you won't have to worry about paint clashing with the stone so much. If you use black, make sure you use semi-gloss. Flat ends up looking like a chalk board in no time & is impossible to clean in black.

8. KHR

KHR New Seed

My favorite color!

That's the color I've painted my present house! The Florida house above I bought sight unseen--I fell in love with it on the internet (I did have my sister, who lives nearby, give it a look-over). Gotta love the internet. I'll be moving there next summer, and was considering keeping the same caramel palette--thanks for showing me what it would look like!