Woodland garden suggestions

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by jubabe296, Aug 28, 2006.

1. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

[​IMG]
    I posted this pic on my blog. I would like to do something to fix this area up. It is my backyard and we never go back here. Eileen said she likes it and could she herself sitting here and enjoying it. I had thought about maybe putting a gazebo back here and adding shade loving plants and maybe a dry creek bed for interest. I would love to have your suggestions on what ya'll think I should do back here!!I would like for us to spend more time back here. Should I add lots of plants or just a sitting area? Should I add native plants? Oh what to do? Suggestions pleaseeeee!!

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oops I see what you mean now Julie - I liked the other view MUCH better with the trees in the background. ;)

I think native shade loving plants would be best and you could also introduce alpine plants for ground cover that like shaded areas.

I really like the idea of a gazebo. :D

A dry creek bed lined with slate chippings would look fantastic with maybe some ferns along the 'banks' to make it look as though it's just dried up.

Oh I'm getting quite excited!! You'll have to post piccies of your progress so that we can all share the project with you.

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

While tropicals would look great I would go with native plants. They are a lot more drought tolerant and would establish easier. I am sure you have lots of native ferns in the woods. Check the internet and find a native plant society for Texas. They should be having sales soon and this spring also. You could still put a nice seating area in, there's plenty of room, and a gazebo too. It just depends on how much you want to spend. I have seen some really nice gazebos made from the big old satelite dishes, google garden junk and go to the first link on there to find some. And you have to make a totem to put back there.

5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

What are those? Turkeys?
    I'm looking at a backyard in need of rearranging also, so I'll watch to see what you do. A dry creekbed would be really nice, if the leaves don't cover it over too much - or some sort of area where you could sit, such as a simple pergola, firepit circle or gazebo - then with that as a focal point you could add plants around it, and a path to it.

Advertisement
  6. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Thanks everyone for your comments!! I have soooo many ideas now!! I will let you all know how it goes!!
    Primsong they are Guinea chickens!!

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

You have an old Satelite Dish don't you? I am excited just wanting to see what you do with it.Love your new Guinea's.I hope you have better luck with the older ones and how is the one that you had left with the older ones?