Workaholic DIY husband

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Droopy, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I need some tips on how to turn my DIY husband into a "let's-hire-some-help-and-get-this-done"-husband.

He's convinced that hired help will pay poor attention to detail, that the tiles will be askew in the corners, that the paintwork will be unsatisfactorily done... But he works so hard too! I cannot bring myself to harrass him just because the basement has been half-finished for seven years. I am pretty good at tearing down, painting, wall-papering and laminate-floor-fitting, but there are things to be done that I dare not try my hands at.

Pardon my less-than-perfect English. I hope you understand what I'm after here, and any contribution might help. Kind ones, mind, because I don't want to hurt his feelings.

2. Loading...

3. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

I totally understand! I can be the same way (I get it from my Dad) and it's endlessly frustrating to Rob.

Make sure he knows how much you appreciate his efforts and attention to detail, but that would like to share time relaxing when he's off work. :)
    Tell him the hired help would take a lot of stress of both of your shoulders, and maybe he could "oversee" the work they put in. I hope that helps.

By the way, your English is wonderful, so don't worry.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well I don't know that this will help you out in your situation Droopy but here goes.
    I always tell my husband that he needs to spend more quality time with me (and in your case with your child) and that as he's worked so hard then why doesn't he let someone else take the strain off him for a bit.
    Men don't like to think that they can't achieve all they set out to do. I tell him I know he can do everthing but he can always be there when the electrician, joiner or whomever comes just to keep a check on them and make sure they do the job as well as he would himself.
    Seems to work with Ian but don't know if it would work with your hubby. :-?

5. Droopy

lexxivexx and eileen, you have some very good tips. I have tried similar approaches, but there are some details I will include the next time I corner him. Maybe this time, it will work! And I will have my bathtub at last. :D

Advertisement
  6. marine683

marine683 Seedling

As a private contractor, I can tell you, there are several projects I always tend to hire out because professionals just simply do a better job.

Drywall
    Roofing
    and
    Sometimes Exterior Siding

These guys work with their tools 24/7 and always do a better job than I ever did.

7. Droopy

Ain't that the truth!

There are also lots of things he is not allowed to touch, such as wiring and water supplies. When the holiday-mood is gone, I'll set him down and reason with him. Again.