Worried about frost and Parsley

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Macbrine, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Macbrine

Macbrine Seedling

I recently planted out some parsley in a pot and wasn't sure if it is resistant to frost like a lot of other herbs. I tried looking it up and found different information. It wouldn't be a problem to bring it inside overnight but i don't want to do that if i don't have to. I live in zone 7a if that helps.

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

In zone 8a the three parsley plants I have outside in the ground have been through a few nights with several hours of below freezing temps and did just fine. In fact they seem to have grown more since the end of January than they did all fall before the first freeze. :rolleyes:

3. Meadow Walker

Meadow Walker New Seed

Macbrine,

Parsley can take the chill. What it can't take is dry soil. The parsley plant will be okay as long as the soil is kept moist in the pot.

Weekly waterings are important when the air is cold and dry. Parsley likes warm water, so baby it a little until warmer weather.

carolyn and Macbrine like this.
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I agree ... Parsley is a tough herb. I've had it overwinter many times here in zone 5.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Parsley is a biennial. It grows foliage the first year, winters over and flowers the second year. If it germinated outside it should be hardy enough to get through the cold nights if it is freezing, frost won't hurt it though. If it germinated inside and you put it out, I would protect it from anything under 25f.

Macbrine likes this.