Would I Need To Re-Install Internet ?

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by azw1879, Jun 18, 2006.

1. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

I'm considering getting a more up-to-date computer at some stage, more memory, etc., allowing me to play some of the games I've collected, not suitable for this computer. Maybe, eventually a Flight Simulator - helicopter, plane, etc.

However, I wondered if you can just connect a new computer straight away to the internet, without re-installing, basically just replacing the old computer with the new, or do you have to go through the same procedure connecting the internet as with the old computer ? :shrug:

C.J. :-?

2. Loading...

3. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

As far as I know (and I'm no computer expert) you just need to have a modem of some kind and a browser on your computer (such as Netscape, Internet Explorer, Mozilla, Firefox, etc.) - this is the tool that allows you to use the internet connection you get through the modem.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I think a lot depends whether you are on dial-up or broadband C.J. I'm no expert but for dial-up you will have to re-install your connection but for broadband it should be a matter of just hooking up. But as I said i'm no expert, I've always hated networking :|

5. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

If you are on dial-up, you will need to know the phone number you dial, username, and your password. Just username and password for cable.

Your internet company probably provided you with a program that helped you with this, but you don't have to use it. Using XP (and many other operating systems), you can configure your connection using the wizard found in Start, All Programs, Accessories, Communications.

Advertisement
  6. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Thanks. It is Broadband I'm connected to, but hopefully someone 'wise in the knowledge' will be available nearby to keep me right.

Although, it may be next year before I obtain a replacement computer.

C.J. ;)

7. Door Mouse

Door Mouse New Seed

lol, if you have broadband just plug in the etheret cable to the back of ur PC and it should connect no prob. I've set up several networks and never needed to install the software when adding computers. In this case you're replacing one but it doesn't matter. If for some reason you can't get a connection, check your connections under the start menu and see if your local area connection is connected. You really should not have to do anythiing except plug it in and open a browser though. It's no different from accessing a wireless network in that you don't need any additional software or configuration changes (unless the network is secured but usually direct connections through ethernet aren't secured) so you should be ready to go as is. If you need to set up the connection then as mentioned above, the wizard will just tell you what to do. I have a wireless router and anyone can connect to it as long as they have either wireless and/or an ethernet cable. No need for username and password and only need to enter a network key if using the wireless, otherwise it is open to anyone who plugs it in regardless of the installed software. If that made any sense...
    I do though reccoment a router just because it adds security and also makes it very easy to share one connection. I <3 routers haha!