WWII Bunkers in Stow MA

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Cayuga Morning, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I deliberately put this posting under 'Home Improvement' because these Bunkers do need a bit of catching up.
    PXL_20221128_184126384.MP_compress84.jpg

PXL_20221128_184132322.MP_compress76.jpg
    PXL_20221128_181311836.MP_compress83.jpg

This last photo is the back side of a bunker. It's hard to tell by the photo, but the lump that is the bunker is quite big... Maybe 30' (9+ meters) tall.

These are located in what is now conservation land. The Bunkers are obviously empty now and slowly mouldering away. They were once used for ammunition storage during WWII. Located in Maynard...Stow?, they were deemed far enough from Boston Harbor to be out of reach of German shelling from the water. There must be 50 of these things. The place has a very eerie feel to it.

The land is now the Assabet River Wildlife National Wildlife Refuge.
    PXL_20221128_184120396.MP_compress94.jpg

Some of the wildlife:
    PXL_20221128_185454739.MP_compress89.jpg
    PXL_20221128_185431221.MP_compress17.jpg

PXL_20221128_184614729.MP_compress31.jpg

PXL_20221128_163248021.MP_compress27.jpg

Before anyone asks, I have no idea what kind of wildlife these are....?maybe stone age?

2. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

Excellent Cayuga :)

Some interesting wildlife :D

I used a WWII pill box as a workshop for some years...

DSCN2358.JPG

I built a fireplace in it...

DSCN2159.JPG

And installed solar powered LED lighting

DSCN2294.JPG

3. Cayuga Morning

Wow, interesting Zigs. I looked up what a pillbox was. I always thought it was the turret on top of tanks from which the gunners shot. I didn't know it was a defensive structure. Looks like yours was made out of blocks? Or bricks?

Melody Mc., Zigs and eileen like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Interesting posting, Cayu.
    We have very many ww2 bunkers scattered around, perhaps more than hunebedden. It is always interesting to go into them. There were various uses for them. Yeah, great posting.
    You showed that the place was rockin’.

Tetters, Melody Mc., Zigs and 2 others like this.

Advertisement
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

6. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

They look very much like that Cayuga. Lots of them still along our coasts and rivers. They were manned by The Home Guard, which was made up of Older and younger men who couldn't join the regular army.

Mine is on a bit of no man's land between the gardens and the farmer's field. I repaired and laid claim to it many years ago and no one challenged me for possession.

It's built out of brick and stone with a cast concrete roof. It was very useful when I didn't have anywhere to live, no one knew I was in there once I shut the door. The smoke from the fire went up thru the wall (no visible chimney) and I put blackout shutters on all the "shoot at the Germans" holes.

It had a Yucca growing on the roof :)

023.jpg

Droopy, eileen, Tetters and 2 others like this.
  7. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Now he's in Kent aka ''Hellfire corner'' during the war, he has the remains of a gun emplacement. It was one of three anti aircraft pits in the immediate vicinity, to house the guns for shooting down enemy planes. Now it's used for bonfires, and very useful.

All of these wartime pill boxes, gun emplacements and air raid shelters were made of reinforced concrete. Some home made air raid shelters were not quite so sturdy.

The small private school next to us in the village has a kitchen which used to be a shelter and is very strongly constructed.

Cayuga Morning, eileen and Melody Mc. like this.
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

This is a very interesting post CM. I think that we forget about this part of our history, and how it must have been. Very interesting to hear of other countries having war time structures still standing or repurposed. I've never seen such things in my little part of the world.

The closest we've come is an air raid siren that was in the middle of town. It was used post war for community emergencies. Then later to call in volunteer firefighters. It eventually had to be dismantled due to disrepair, but they are considering repairing and returning it to its spot for Forest Fire threats.

Hubby's mother was born in Liverpool and evacuated with many other children to Wales during the War. ( where she learned to speak Welsh Gaelic - Hubby can still speak a little bit). She told stories of bunkers and such. It was interesting to see them in this post.

( I'd want to add a rock star to the party going on there.) :)

9. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

When I was a toddler my mum and dad were in the Royal Navy and at one time they were stationed in Scotland. We lived in a nissen hut. These huts were arranged in a horseshoe shape and had an air raid shelter in the middle. I just came across a short video of some nissen huts there in Scotland and thought I'd share.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2022
  10. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

@Cayuga Morning I agree with Mel about this thread. Thank you for your posting :like:

11. Cayuga Morning

Interesting video Tetters! These Nissen huts have windows midway down their length... How did that work with the center being an air raid shelter?

Melody, I agree with you, the US was quite sheltered from direct attacks during WWII. Hearing about Nissen huts, pillboxes, ammo dumps, etc being commonplace in Europe is surprising. But it really shouldn't be.

Daniel W, eileen and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

The air raid shelter was a separate building standing on its own while the nissen huts were situated in horseshoe shape around it. If the sirens sounded we all congregated in the central shelter until the all clear.
    I remember one couple who lived in another hut I called Auntie Pat and Uncle Bill. They used to sing ''Anything you can do I can do better'' which would ring around the huts and then all the other occupants would join in.
    I can remember brown/grey blankets hanging up through our hut with writing on them, and mum told me later they were navy issue and made make do walls to form three rooms.
    I'm not sure where these huts were, but think it was somewhere near Loch Fyne near Inveraray. This loch is the longest sea loch in Scotland and is famous for its oysters.... Just like Whitstable in Kent where we came home to after the war was over.

eileen likes this.
  13. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

I re uploaded an old video of mine to youtube so I could put it on here, easier than describing it :)

Found a pic of Daughter Willow sitting by another one further along the coast in Dorset

DSCN0303_zps4e6c7882.jpg

Droopy and Tetters like this.
  14. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

so much skill @Zigs!

Zigs likes this.
  15. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Droopy, Frank and Zigs like this.