YaHoo! Red Polls in our feeders.

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Tooty2shoes, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yesterday when I watching the birds in our feeder out of the kitchen window. I thought I saw a House Finch in our feeder. I said to myself, out loud of course. OH Boy I haven't seen a male House Finch at our feeders for quite sometime.
    But as I looked more closely at it I could tell it was possibly a Red Poll. So I grabbed my bird book and sure enough that is just what it was.
    I called my honey to come and see because we have never before had them at our feeders. I was tickled to get a really good pick of them along with the Pine Siskins,and Gold finches that where in the feeder.

[​IMG]
    Red Poll, Pine Siskins, and Gold finches. ( photo / image / picture from Tooty2shoes's Garden )

I'm glad it poised for such a good picture.

:stew1:

[​IMG]
    Red Poll and Pine Siskins ( photo / image / picture from Tooty2shoes's Garden )

eileen and marlingardener like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

What great photos! I don't think we have Red Polls here--at least we've never seen them. We did have two goldfinches show up this past weekend, but you have a better variety of birds than we do!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We usually have redpolls visiting our garden at this time of year. For some reason, maybe because the weather is milder than usual, they haven't been around this winter yet.
    Great photographs by the way Tooty. :stew2:

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Marlingardener I checked my bird book and you do not have Red Polls in your area. Glad I could share these with you. You do have a lot of neat birds that we will never see also.

Eileen wow that is neat to think that you have them as well being so far from where we are.

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I am pretty sure I shared some photos a few years ago of these little cuties. I had so many and we went through so much food...I will be ready for them in case they stop in my part of Wisconsin...I will have to keep my fingers crossed they don't take my American goldfinch with them like they did last time...I had so many goldfinches until these guys talked them into flying with them...LOL...I love all the action at the feeders when they are around...it has been 2 years since they were here.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Sherry this is a first for us in all the years we have been feeding birds. We have live where we are now since 2005 and this is the first winter they showed up.
    Yes they sure do eat a lot. Both them and the Pine Siskins are in the feeders what seems like constantly.
    Yes they are fun to watch. ;)

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Nice picture of a group of community birds. We have lots of Goldfinches but Red Polls and Pine Siskins are a rarity. One year I was cleaning under a bush and a Pine Siskin landed a foot from my face, we stared at each other for about 3 seconds. Then the bird gathered its wits about it and flew away. I do not know which one of us was more startled.

Jerry

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  9. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Jerry those happenings are quite neat when they happen. Better a bird in a bush than a snake. A friend was cleaning out a flower bed around an old stump. When she pulled back a flower bush to clean behind it and there staring at her was a big Pine Snake. :eek: They aren't poisonous but can bit you really bad. Needless to say she doesn't clean around that stump before giving it a close inspection. ;)

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

We used to have pine snakes at our last home and the grass snakes...yes, those pine snakes can be pretty big....huge in fact when they come from a swampy area.