Yellow eggplants!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by cuatro-gatos, Sep 11, 2015.

1. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Has anyone grown the "regular" Italian big roundish eggplant, only they skipped the purple and went right to yellow? There was something on the internet mentioning that when an eggplant turns yellow it is more than likely over ripe or perhaps sun burned. I kept waiting for them (3) to turn purple, but they never did.
    I grew some mini eggplants and I guess I waited too long to harvest, because they were extremely bitter.

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

I plant the regular Black Beauty and Ichibon every year. Never heard of a yellow eggplant. I have seen the small white eggplant but not yellow. Where did you get them ?

4. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

I believe I bought it at Home Depot. Some of the smaller eggplants that are forming now are green with purplish stripes.
    Not sure why the others turned yellow.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

My purple ones get rusty color stripes when they get old and tough. You can eat eggplant at any stage of growth, I would pick them as soon as they are big enough. Are they getting enough water? That's the main reason I know for the yellowing. Did you try to eat them ?
    Now that I think about it,,I have seen some that sounded similarly striped. My purple eggplant stay the same color all during growth.

Advertisement
  6. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Well, I've pulled the mother eggplant up, and cut off all the eggplants that were softball sized or larger. You are right Mart, never thought to use the smaller
    fruits, but they were nice, not too many seeds. All but one of the smaller fruits were regular color. Had so many, had to give a ton to a neighbor.
    Made eggplant parm. Not too bad!
    Could't bring myself to try the large yellow ones. Tossed them into city green recycling.

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

My eggplant fruit turned yellow while we were away on vacation. It was a pale purple when we went away, two weeks later it was yellow. We picked them anyway & they tasted fine. I ready that yellow can mean a) over-ripe or b) sunburned eggplants.