YIKES!!! My Heart is Broken!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Nov 1, 2017.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

When I went into my mini-farm to do the usual - weeding, checking on the seedling, planting plants that need to be planted and so on, I felt that something was not right. Not being able to pin-point what it is I just went on doing what I have to do but the feeling got stronger and stronger. I took a moment and give it a thought, ah yes the tomato seedling, is it still there! I got up quickly and rush over to where it was and got the biggest shock!!!

P1080317.JPG

YIKES!!! it was beheaded very likely by a very bad bird and my upload_2017-11-1_10-52-35.png

After I recovered from the shock I put on my glasses to check if there is any more seedling and yes I found one, very young. No I am not going to risk it, I must safe this and with Carolyn comment - "right now there is about one root attached to the plant. if you rip that off it may not survive." - very loud and clear in my mind, so I very, very carefully extracted this very young seedling from the ground and move it to its new temporary home where I can take better care of it :)

P1080318.JPG

I transplanted it yesterday evening and it is doing ok this morning. Yes the single root is attached to it. Now all my fingers and toes are crossed!

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is such a disappointment. You may have to cover those plantlets with some netting in the future. I do find them too small to be in the ground unprotected though.
    Those little plants that have been decapitated---They may still make it. Why don't you cover them with some gauze and wait and see. I once had a plantlet that I broke off myself by accident. Completely broken off ! There was a bit of stem left over, about the length of half little finger...but it went on to come back and actually produced toms that year. I was amazed to say the least. Good luck with your crop this year. I believe that it was wise though to bring the little plantlets inside though.
    Fingers crossed here mate.

Growingpains and Cayuga Morning like this.
  3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh dear! I sure hope the other one grows maybe even a few more pop out of the soil and surprise you.

Growingpains likes this.
  4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Oh no!! Well I'm glad you saved the one you did. And yeah, Carolyn has a point...keep checking just in case any more pop up, and maybe put some netting over them?

Growingpains likes this.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

KK, if it was a bird, a clear plastic soda bottle with the top and bottom cut off and placed over the seedling is great protection. It is almost like a mini-greenhouse, but the best part is the bird can't reach your seedling. I save bottles, cut them so they are a plastic cylinder and push them firmly into the soil around seedlings. Fortunately, my husband drinks Diet Pepsi!

6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've used the bottles as well to protect delicate seedlings KK and it really works. Good luck and keep us updated.

Growingpains likes this.
  7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

KK,
    I have in the past taken a fallen tomato plant and rerooted it in a glass of water. It is an option if it happens again. Unless you still have the plant that was separated from its roots. Then you can experiment. :)

Just a thought,
    Jerry

Growingpains and marlingardener like this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

If the plant that lost its head is still in the ground,, it may grow its leaves back along the stem.
    Try just leaving the stem as it is and see if it will.

Growingpains likes this.
  9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Wow~~!! That is sure one beheaded tomato BUT maybe possibly hopefully it might still grow. Maybe. I'd keep watering and tending to it as it might just come back. Netting or something to keep the birds away would be my suggestion.

Will keep my fingers crossed it'll come back. Tomatoes are pretty hardy in their own fragile way.

Growingpains likes this.
  10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thank you all for your concern. Sorry for my late reply as I was busy because my eldest daughter came home for a visit.

Sjoerd, Oops it is a bit too late! I have dug up the earth to put it in a pot to plant a pineapple. I'll protect the younger seedlings in future so as not to have a repeat and also to nurse the stem to see if it can recover. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks Carolyn, the other one is doing good. :) :fingerscrossed:

Thanks Roni, no others had popped up.

Marlingardener, no I don't think clear plastic soda bottle is a good idea here because the weather is so hot the greenhouse effect is not beneficial. I'm am looking for ways to keep the birds away from my seedling.

Thanks Jerry Sullivan, that's a good idea. I'll keep it in mind.

Sorry Mart it is already too late, I have already dug it out. I should have waited for reply rather than just giving it up.

Thanks Islandlife, I'll bear that in mind and I won't let that happened again. I was careless.

Growingpains likes this.
  11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

KK, instead of a soda bottle use some of that screen cloth you acquired and used on your bananas...or egg plant or what ever I can't remember it was for sure. And I see those stones around the plucked plant... pile them around the plant so only the top of the leaves are showing. that won't hurt the plant unless you pack them on with a hammer.

Growingpains likes this.
  12. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Oh wow....but it's doing well I hope!!! So sorry. Times such as this, I'm glad i have a screened patio...geez!!

Growingpains likes this.
  13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Carolyn, I had made a cage like thing from the aluminum mosquito netting that I used to protect the egg plant from the monkeys. :)

Thanks Hummerbum, it happens and this time is my carelessness. :(

Growingpains likes this.
  14. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

KK, I'm sympathetic toward seedling loss. Once Black birds took a few of my tiny tomato plants. I learned and use very thin wire or stainless steel cut in sections just the height of the plants and enough to shove 2 inches into the soil. Keeps the birds away and also Cut worms. I place these wires against the plant so birds nor Cut worms cannot bite the stem.

15. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Growingpains that sound interesting :)

Growingpains likes this.