You Wont [or shouldnt] See This Anywhere Else In The World.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by chocolate, Dec 5, 2011.

1. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Good morning,today it is only 17c[about 62f]and not really an outdoor day...you dont expect me to go out in that do you?
    So maybe it is a good story telling day.
    In November when the weather was a little better...30-32c my husband and I decided to take the caravan and go north for a few days before the 'silly season' started here.

We covered about 1500k [740m]and enjoyed the coastline, meeting others, staying caravan parks and comparing notes etc.Just being away seeing different areas is a real rest and treat for us.

Travelling on the main roads the thought came to me that some of our roadsigns are truly unique to Australia and others who have not seen them might enjoy.

[​IMG]
    Ready set go... ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Ponciana Tree ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Kangaroos could be on the road. ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    For the next 20ks! ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Koalas cross at night ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Camels introduced species not often seen ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Plants not animal feet! ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    You choose. ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    One of our stops. ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

Bernieh likes this.
  2. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

When pinkiered lived in Louisiana (before she moved to Florida and quit posting) she sent me two large seeds from the poinciana tree. I tried to grow them but they didn't do well. We lived in Arizona but up at the 4,500 hundred foot level. I think the winters were too cold for them there.
    You are right. Our roads do not have those signs. There should be some for squirrels though. I have to stop for them these days. I hit two of them already.
    I do like the last picture where you stopped. We lived along Lake Michigan in Wisconsin and had wonderful beaches but yours is probably a tad bit more scenic.
    dooley

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey!--That's a good idea for a posting. Those unusual signs along with trees and landscapes. All very nice.

That is a good looking caravan too. I can recall when I was travelling through Oz that I frequently would encounter large groups of clubs of people travelling around in a group.
    It was nice coming in contact with these folks as they were very friendly and hospitable.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That Ponciana Tree is absolutely gorgeous Chocolate. :drool: How I wish we could grow them here in Scotland. Having one would certainly make a wonderful centre piece in any garden.

We certainly don't have those road signs here. We have some for toads, deer ans horses but nothing as exotic as yours. I think the last time I saw signage like those was at the zoo!! :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Chocolate, I dearly love to see your posts! Who else would think to post interesting road signs?
    Sidebar: shortly before the Civil War here in the States (1861-65), the then Secretary of War, Jefferson Davis (who became the first and only president of the Confederate States of America), introduced camels into the southwest, thinking they would outperform horses or mules for patrol duty and as pack animals. It didn't work out, because the army didn't want to mess with camels and preferred hoofed critters. Some of the camels escaped and there were sightings of camels in southwestern Texas into the early 1900's. Who knows, there may be a few Texan camels wandering around yet?

6. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

Oh so true, Chocolate, you wouldn't see signs like these anywhere else!!

I can't believe the temp on this summers' day!!! 17 deg C! Oh how I wish it was that cool up here.

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

One might expect to see a wallaby sign but a camel or a koala bear, not expected. I once saw a salamander on a warning sign cautioning motorists to be aware of the annual migration to their breeding ponds. I'm not sure what kangaroo paws are going to look like. The Ponciana tree gets a big wow. O.K. I'll bite, what is the silly season? Glad you enjoyed your relaxing get away.

Jerry

8. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

A little further north, on the road into Mission Beach, you get to see signs like these warning you to watch out for Cassowaries.

[​IMG]
    Road sign on the way into Mission Beach ( photo / image / picture from Bernieh's Garden )

This one, up towards the Daintree, I just love!

[​IMG]
    Funny road sign in northern Oz ( photo / image / picture from Bernieh's Garden )

Jerry Sullivan, lukeypukey and Karrma like this.
  9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Those are too awesome! Love them all but that last one is so cute! Thanks so much for showing these.

10. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Thankyou for comments, nice signs Bernieh, and Jerry..the 'silly season' is the time around Christmas when everyone is on holidays and acts silly.[happy]
    Usually the roads are jammed with holiday makers and it gets way too busy.
    Kangaroo paw is a garden plant which when in flower looks like a kangaroo's paw. they can be green, red, pink, black..some of them are rather nice,but some of the colours are a bit loud.

[​IMG]
    Kangaroo paw flower ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Pink kangaroo paw flower. ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

Bernieh likes this.
  11. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Hello Chocolate!
    Love that Poinciana (you missed one "i" I think).
    I loved it in Taiwan.... it was everywhere, in all parks. But...no matter how hard I tried, I just can't get one past its first birthday :(
    Always dies on me... at such a young age.

The signs are also great. You see deer and ... well... cows!
    In rural areas (and roads always pass through such villages) cattle still roam on the road when coming home from a day on the pastures.
    You can imagine how silly it looks for expensive cars waiting for the indolent cows to slowly march on to their home.

LOL

12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great post! Oh what I would do for 17°C right now!

13. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

You can certainly see why that plant is called Kangaroo Paw! Sooo weird and exotic looking!

14. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Loved the pictures and the signs.

15. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Lovely, keeping my fingers crossed my plan to visit Australia will become a reality ....... soon I hope!