Young and older hens--enjoying the fresh air

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by marlingardener, Jul 1, 2013.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We blended our flock earlier in June, and the young hens and older ladies are getting along fine. They especially like to be outside, but the young ones will only go to the outside coop if there is at least one older hen there.
    [​IMG]
    Ladies and daffies outside ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )
    Since they are about all the same size, the easiest way to tell mature from teenagers at a distance is by the comb. The ladies have bright red developed combs, while the teens are still working on theirs.

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Wow, I'm not sure I've seen black hens before, but they are striking!

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane, They look nice. I think I have 3 B. A's out of all the chicks. I had 4 but a coon got in and killed 6 of my chicks last week. :smt067 :smt068 :smt070 :smt071 :smt072 :smt075 :smt074 I was so sad and mad and angry and sad and couldn't post about it. I loved that little batch of chicks, They were the friendliest batch I had ever had. They came up to me and would jump up on me and climb my back to sit on my shoulder. So I ordered 10 more from the hatchery and had Kevin pick them up when he went to get my grain. 6 blue splash marans and 4 goldenlaced wyandottes.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... A&dur=6747

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hail hail the gang's all here. They look like a happy group of chickens. After reading Carolyn's story, coons appear to be a big problem for chickens. Raccoon proofing a cage is a major must.

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jerry, they are nearly impossible to deter if they are determined, BUT they dislike talk radio. So from now on I turn a radio on at night time. the only all talking station that I can get in is Hanity, but I don't think they care what it is, they hear talking voices and avoid the area. I can't stay out there all night so we do what we can or have to to keep the varmints out or away.

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Now is the time to get a clock radio set to turn on at night, tuned to the talk show. Who knows, the chickens may develop an opinion. At least for a few minutes. :)

Jerry

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh, Carolyn, I'm so sorry you lost some of your chicks. I grieve when one of my ladies dies of old age--losing six young ones at one time must be awful.
    I keep looking at other breeds, but our Black Australorps are so gentle, so friendly, and so silly that I stick with them. They have a great entertainment factor!

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

The girls are looking good Jane! Funny how the young ones like having a chaperone.
    Sorry to hear about your loss Carolyn. We keep a radio playing by the veggie garden to help keep the deer out... seems they hate loud rock n roll! :D