Young deer and green butterfly

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Droopy, May 16, 2008.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I don't often get to use this forum since we rarely have any wildlife out there, but I lucked out this morning! A young deer suddenly appeared next door, and I had my camera in my pocket too. Sorry about the poor quality of the photo, when our guest saw me it withdrew so I had to zoom, and then crop:

[​IMG]

I've never noticed this butterfly around here before, maybe because it's so very green:

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Those are a couple of quite interesting fotos, Droopy. You were really lucky to get a shot of the deer. They are such graceful animals.
    As for that butterfly...well it certainly is unusual, isn't it? It looks like a cabbage white that's green. :)
    No seriously, I have never seen that one before. I wonder what it is.
    Do deer wander in and out of the neighborhood where you live frequently, or is this a seldom occurence?

4. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Wow!! Lucky you, I've never seen a deer up here, but when I lived in the states they were everywhere, expecially in Pennsylvania and South Dakota.

And that is an intresting butterfly, never seen one of those up here either,,,lol. We are isolated. Wonder what kind it is? Thanks for the wildlife!

5. Droopy

Sjoerd, we've been spared the deer so far. My mother's got both deer and roe deer, and they wander alongside the roads in broad daylight! I love to see them, but I prefer them in the woods, not the garden.

I've no idea what kind of butterfly it is, I guess it's a common type. I like it's face.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes... I'm with you about the deer staying in the woods. They can be really devistating to a well planned garden.
    That is a cute little face, isn't it. Cuter than my bluetits, that's fer sure.

7. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

That is one green butterfly! And 'Bambi' is precious. Looks like she was posing. Thanks for sharing.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You may not post in this forum often Droopy but when you do your photographs are outstanding. :-D We used to have deer around our village but they's been pushed out as buildings have gone up. I've never seen a green butterfly around here so I'm hoping someone can ID it for you. It's certainly well hidden amongst the foliage!!

9. Droopy

Thank you, I'm hoping one of the hedgehogs will pass through when it's light outside. Those, winged pests and slugs are the ones I'm most likely to see at the moment. :D

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It looks like your butterfly is a Labrador Sulphur
    Colias nastes --- aka Arctic Green Sulphur
    It is not very widespread here just reported in the far north of the lower 48 States but is in Canada, Norway, parts of Russia, Sweden also
    http://www.biologie.uni-ulm.de/cgi-bin/ ... ng=e&sid=T

11. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Great photos Droopy .I have seen the yellow sulfur butterflies but not the green ones.The little deer is so cute.

12. Droopy

Thanks Toni, I've no idea what it is, but you're better qualified so I'll take your word for it.

Glendann, the deer is cute only as long as it stays out of my garden. :D Once inside it's a pest.

13. catswhiskers

catswhiskers New Seed

Can you tell me what the green butterfly is on. I am trying to identify a tree and it has a very similar leaf to that. Thanks

14. Droopy

That greenery is one of our worst weeds, Aegopodium podagraria, or ground elder, not a tree.

15. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

What great pics Droopy. I've got deer in ME, they eat the apples in the trees in my front yard. I think they are very cool to watch. I've never gotten a pic of them though. Mostly I'm told by the neighbors, only seen them a couple times myself and never had the camera available.

I also love the butterfly, I've never seen one like that before. Thanks for sharing.

16. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Nice shot of the deer Droopy.
    I love to watch the deer in the fields, but if they get to close to the house I chase them LOL