Your fave. "made up spur of the moment" dish

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by luvdirtyhands1, Mar 27, 2012.

1. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

Last night I really wanted chiles rellenos for dinner, but being lazy I decided on a chile relleno casserole. I didn't want to have to make another dish with meat so I got the idea to lightly brown a couple boxes of those breakfast sausage links, cool them & slice diagonally. I split 4 fresh jalapenos lengthwise, seeded them & cut strips of them crosswise, then simmered strips for about 10 minutes in salted water. I put the sausage on bottom of casserole dish, then the drained jalapeno strips, poured in half the egg batter, then a layer of shredded cheddar/ jalapeno jack mix,sprinkled about 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro & remaining egg batter. Baked at 400 degrees for about 18 minutes, till light golden. Took out of oven, spooned a little drained salsa cruda on top, added a little more shredded cheese & stuck back in oven just till cheese melted. It was so good! My hubby loved it. Will be making this again.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My problem is I don't write down the recipe as I make something up :rolleyes: But each spur of the moment meal usually includes noodles, cream of 'something' soup, green chilies, meat (ground turkey, pork or chicken), maybe Taco seasoning, whole kernel corn and Pinto or Kidney beans. Each meal tastes different, determined by the amount of each ingredient and we like them.

Your recipe does sound great, I am going to send it to my oldest daughter I think she would like it a lot. I had to look up salsa cruda....down here in Tex-Mex country that's called pico de gallo

4. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

Salsa Cruda is also called "salsa fresca"; just the raw chopped onion, jalapeno,garlic,tomato& cilanto, in a little vinegar, lime juice & a dash of cumin & salt. Pico de Gallo is a little different; more salty & tart.... I do love it, though.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Most Pico recipes don't call for vinegar, garlic or cumin so that might be the taste difference.

Cruda is Spanish for raw and since the ingredients in both your version and in Pico are raw, I guess you could say they are the same. But recipes have a way of being changed from area to area to fit the taste preferences of the cook and eaters.

Also, what is the purpose of boiling the strips of jalapeno in salted water?

Advertisement
  6. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

The jalapenos remain too raw-tasting if you don't par-boil them; it develops the flavor. You know, I think you can use any type salsa you have on hand... it really doesn't make a lot of difference. I drain it some because I use a glass casserole & don't want the liquid to touch the hot glass, as it may crack it. If using a metal pan you could omit draining it.

7. happyzinnia

happyzinnia Seedling

That sounds so yummy luvdirtyhands1, will fit into our low carb way of eating. Its just a bit different then the one I have.