Your favorite ethnic foods?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

The daughter of three of my grandkids other grandma (whew!! That's a lot to say. Candy's daughter, she's the grandma who took in the three grandkids who lost their Mom) Anyway, Sara was married this w/e to a wonderful Indian/African gentleman, and because of his heritage (75% of the guests were of similar heritage) the food that was served buffet style was new to me. I love all kinds of ethnic food so it was a real treat! A couple of funny moments...there was a large urn on the table with cups next to it that dispensed what I thought was something to drink. After taking a hefty sip, I realized it was some kind of dressing! :eek: Ron put what looked like a fried chicken patty on his plate, along with some meatballs and other meats. After taste testing, he realized that it wasn't meat...it was sweet and doughy, delicious but completely unexpected!

I enjoyed that entire meal SO MUCH!! The tastes and textures were very different, exciting and unexpected, and it made me realize how generally bored I am with regular food. I guess that's why we tend to frequent our favorite Japanese restaurant when we go out more than anyplace else. I also love chinese and thai food, Indian and greek food. Not a fan of Mexican food or tex mex..at least not the food that's served in restaurants. My oldest married a mexican woman and the first time I had HER cooking, I was hooked!!! She said true mexican food bears NO resemblance to what's served in restaurants! Man is that ever true!

What about you, what are some of your favorite ethnic foods?

Couple bonus pics from the wedding.
    51366943_10215251922984714_6990376466164744192_n.jpg 51251577_10161560065150387_5997920948395704320_n-1.jpg

The cool people! ;) (Some of my grandkids and friends)
    51195240_10161566882125387_5508204259000188928_n.jpg

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Clay_22
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Catdaddy6676

Catdaddy6676 In Flower

That looks awesome! I love international cuisine as well, but cannot say what my favorite is because I love so MUCH! It began with Chinese food but anything Asian is devoured. We have some great Korean restaurants in my area. Japanese was served at my wedding...

Greek, Italian, Indian and Mexican round out our international menus. German food is da bomb!

Of course my beer selection is quite global also...

Ronni likes this.
  4. Kazzawazza

Kazzawazza Seedling

I love Chinese and Thai, and I also enjoy Mexican food. Some of my favourites are Chicken pad Thai [​IMG] lemon chicken, fajitas, chimichangas, and a nice hot chilli .

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Ronni likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Don`t know if you would consider it ethnic but simple southern soul food is my cup of tea ! Followed by Korean then German food ! Actually I like most anything as long as its cooked ! Just don`t give me raw fish or anything like it !

Ronni and Catdaddy6676 like this.

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

We enjoy trying all different ethnic foods. We live close to Boston, MA, so go into the city for various dinners. Our grandnephew recently moved to Boston & he will eat anything! (He would even eat suchi as a little boy!)

Years ago, we went for Dim Sum (Chinese brunch, kind of like tapas) with a group of friends. None of us knew what the various dishes were, being wheeled around us, so we all just took pot luck. My husband ordered something that turned out to be chicken feet! ! Not much meat on them!

Ronni likes this.
  7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

When I lived in California, there was a restaurant down the street from where I lived that was called South Town Soul Food. I had no idea what that meant. I'd never at that point lived anywhere in the US other than Los Angeles, so I'd never been exposed to southern soul food. I ate there once as an experiment and I was HOOKED!!!! It was a real treat to ultimately move to the south where I could enjoy the food to my heart's content!....well, at least until I had to start watching my weight ;) Southern food has ZERO consideration for those of us who have to watch our fat, carb or sodium intake! ;)

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Oh!!!! Wow....um....that was adventurous of him!!! :smt043

9. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Seriously- is fried okra an ethnic food?

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I think fried okra is more a regional dish than an ethnic one. Perhaps you have to be raised eating it to appreciate (?) fried okra.

Cayuga Morning and Dirtmechanic like this.
  11. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

It would be appropriate to fill my coffin with fried okra. I would be a smiling corpse.

12. mart

mart Strong Ash

I think it is covered in the southern soul food I was talking about ! Our grocery store here has a deli and fried okra is on the menu every day ! I could live on fried okra or okra in any form ! As long as the fried chicken, turnips and greens, cornbread ect are thrown in as well ! Thats my kind of food !

13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Fried Okra is not an ethnic food, it's a southern food. I have been eating it since I was a little whippersnapper and love it. My Mom also boiled it for my Dad, but that I just could not handle. It is extremely slimy when sliced and boiled so it should be boiled whole. Okra and tomatoes is pretty good too.

14. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

So....why are southerners not an ethnicity? I certainly do not want my worms to get out of the can, but having been to the upper and lower parts of the Americas and to Europe, I am going there. I had duck and mussels in Normandy once, but I like fried okra better!

15. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

It’s a very typical southern food so the argument then becomes is southern food ethnic? ;)

Okra actually really good when it’s lightly breaded and pan or deep fried. I prefer panko breadcrumbs than regular. Much finer. I’ve never found a better way to cook okra personally other than tossing some chopped up in stew or soup. Any other way I’ve tried to cook it, it just ends up sort of slimy. It exudes a liquid that won’t cook away very well. :confused:

Cayuga Morning and Dirtmechanic like this.
  16. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I can tell from your comments that you have never appreciatied okra slime in a New Orleans dish. There are multiple reasons one would want to experience Mardi Gras and this is one.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019