You've had a lot of rain when

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by marlingardener, Apr 22, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

You've had a lot of rain when a Red Eared Slider turtle shows up in the barn lot! My husband was cleaning up after the latest storm when he spotted this not-so-little guy meandering around. We have lots of red ears in the pond, but none has ever ventured (or floated) near the house.
    Isn't he cute? Red Eared Slider 2.jpg

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Wouldn`t be bad creatures if they didn`t eat our fish. I had one in the flower bed yesterday. They are laying eggs now.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Looks as though he/she was taking a nap until the storm passed Jane. Hope it found its way back to the pond OK.

5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Marling glad to know that you are OK with all the flooding you have been having in Texas. Your Turtle looks a lot like our Painted Turtles we have in Wis. He or she is a cutie.
    Painted-Turtle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2016
    marlingardener likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Jane--those turtles in your pond...did you buy them in a dime store and then set them free when they were older? I did not know those jewels were native to TX.
    I found your posting interesting.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Goodness no we didn't buy them! We would have gone broke buying turtles, judging from the number we have. Texas is blessed with a lot of native wildlife, including Red Eared Sliders. Turtles.jpg
    Here are a few lined up sunbathing. A turtle's life is not a hard one around here!

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

They are the same kind we used to buy at the dime stores sometimes with painted shells. They are native to Texas and the rest of the south. Have no idea how far north their range is.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, the local fairs/carnivals used to have the painted turtles as prizes, or to be purchased. Thank heavens we've stopped that barbaric practice!
    According to my Reptiles and Amphibians of Texas, Red Ears are all over the states--northwest, southwest, northeast, southeast. They seem to be highly adaptable, as well as very cute!

10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yikes I just googled the Red Eared turtle, and on Wikipedia it said that they are listed in the top 100 of invasive species. It said because they where sold in pet stores many years ago across the United States. Then when those who bought them got tired of them, they set them free in local ponds. But because they have the ability to out competed other native species they became and invasive. Just another example of man stupidity.

stratsmom and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I had no idea that they were natiive to Texas. I had the impression that they were more tropical...like in Florida 'r something. Thanks for the info and pics.

12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

We have them here too. In fact, the red-eared slider is the most common non-native species of turtle found in Ontario.

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

You can keep all of yours with a good conscience, Netty. We have plenty of our own sliders!

14. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yup Netty that is why it is considered and invasive species. It is non-native to your area and has probably out competed the other native turtles. I wonder if the Fish and Game department has a notice for eradication of them in your area. Just a thought.