hibiscus

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Richie Cooper, May 14, 2024.

1. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me what I should spread around my Hibiscus plant to help it grow and flower. I just planted it about 45 days ago. Thank you for any help.
    Richie Cooper,
    New Paltz, NY

2. Loading...

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

It takes time for flower buds to form. Any good flower/shrub fertilizer available at big box store is ok. I never fertilize mine they flower every year late July - Aug in my zone. A top dressing of dried well seasoned compost is helpful . There is also time release fertilizer available . As long as it’s planted in well draining good soil and 6-8 hours of indirect sun daily it will bloom in the first year after planting.
    Hibiscus grows best in slightly acidic soil that has a pH between 6.5 and 6.8. Prior to planting, determine your soil's pH by testing it. If necessary, apply amendments to alter pH. Increase pH by using Fast Acting Lime, and decrease pH by applying soil sulfur.

Do you know the name of your new hibiscus ? Color of flowers? Hibiscus is the state flower for the state of Hawaii. They are a beautiful hardy flowering shrub in the correct zone.

Jewell likes this.
  4. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Pacnorwest,
    The plastic tag that came with the Hibiscus says ' Midnight Marvel" Rose Mallow. The picture on the tag shows a red flower.
    Thanks for your help.

Jewell likes this.
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

That particular hybrid is cold hardy. You’re in NY based on hardiness map you could be in hardiness zones 3-7. I would give the plant time in your zone by June - July buds will form and flowers by July thru September-Oct. Midnight Marvel is a hardy hibiscus. Will lose its leaves in winters and in warmer spring temps grow new leaves and set flower buds for late summer to fall blooms.

Last edited: May 15, 2024
    Daniel W likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Daniel W and Jewell like this.
  7. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

When I was at the hardware store, I impulse-bought a pot of "Hawaiian Punch" tropical hibiscus. It's just meant to be annual. Not blooming yet, just buds.

Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.