A bare tree branch needs your help

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by petunia, May 23, 2008.

1. petunia

petunia Young Pine

This tree belongs to a friend of mine. I believe its a red maple but feel free to correct me. It has a bare branch with no leaves and she's not sure why or what to do.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Their on the outside middle of the tree. She asked for my help now I have to rely on the stewcrew for help here. If there's a tree expert out there, she needs advice.
    Here's one more pict-this one though does show a few buds trying to make their way out. not too easy to see. Their at the top of the left bare branch.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'd be inclined to cut off the dead branch as near as possible to the ground as it's serving no purpose. I do this with my own trees when there is dead wood. It doesn't harm the tree in any way but could be a danger if it snapped and toppled on to someone.

4. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

5. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

I too agree to cut off the dead branch. Several things could be causing this...verticillium wilt and/or girdled roots are very likely. I found this site from a UW extension on the Crimson King cultivar: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ST032

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I would have to differ with everyone...sorry just my opinion. Our trees look just like the pictures, even our weigelas are not budded on every branch. I am just going to wait until next year to see if anything comes back on those branches....so many trees, bushes, flowers have been affected by our weird weather this spring...I would tell her to wait and see unless she doesn't mind looking at an odd tree. We have one tree that the whole side is bare. It was fine last year. If they don't come back then we will be doing some heavy pruning in our yard. Good Luck.

7. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

The leaves in the picture look purplish so that would make it a japenese maple. Cut off the dead branch now the tree will be healthier for it. When we bought out house we had some trees with dead branches on it and all that happens is bugs move in and destroy that branch and try to move on to another branch.