A confession

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Cayuga Morning, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hope your hip feels better soon CM. I could feel the sense of panic from your first post :smt107 Not a nice experience.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thanks Strats, KK & Frank. Yes, I was panicked. Now I am doing a major headshake over the incident.

We had guests for dinner the other night & I showed them the burned area. The husband told me he'd had a similar (but worse) situation, with the fire climbing up 5 trees & his hose not reaching the area. He was frantically trying to deal with the flames with a rake & a wet cloth. His teenage son actually saw him, but thought he had the situation well in hand, so did not come out to help!! In the son's defense, this guy is a real DIYer, and typically pulls off all kinds of things.

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

CM, your last post made me remember one time a long time ago when I was burning trash in a barrel and I caught the tree on fire next to it. It was a row of fir trees :eek: . Panicked I was too. Thankfully I was outside when it happened otherwise I would have burned the whole 100 foot row and probably the neighbors garage. Not a good feeling. I am so glad you were okay. I have some unknown name hostas I can donate if you need them.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Coming from a long line of firefighters, I understand what you went through as the flames went out of control. While I did not take up the occupation there is no lack of family stories from father and grandfather. It's good you had the hose handy and were able to get the fire under control. Learn from the experience and never leave a fire unattended. Someday I should tell the story of when the water caught on fire. :)

Jerry

Advertisement
  5. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Glad to hear there was no permanent damage. Could of been much worse. Feel better and remember nature always recovers from fire.

6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Jeez that's scary! :( I'm very glad it wasn't so much worse.

My son in California is a firefighter/paramedic and has told some hair-raising stories of really horrific fires that started just this way, so pat yourself on the back that you were on top of things enough that it didn't spread.

7. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

We all make mistakes! I almost burned the house down with a candle a few years ago - fell asleep while a pillar was burning in no container, just sitting on a paper plant on a wood shelf - NOT GOOD. Hope your hip feels better soon, that's a bummer. I would be surprised if any plants suffered permanent damage. Please keep us posted!

Frank and Cayuga Morning like this.
  8. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Glad you are ok. In March had a burn ban so dry and windy. Now Month later. People are getting sump-pumps ready.