a different computer

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by petunia, Feb 21, 2008.

1. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I have just went from a laptop computer to a bigger regular computer. I ask myself Why or if I made the right move? A laptop would seem so much more update. But there was two other people besides myself using my laptop which slowed it down considerably. So hubby let me have his old one but not before putting some work into it. His has all our family pictures and some more of my garden pictures that I didn't have on the laptop. So now I can look through the pictures and post others that I couldn't before.
    Also being the considerate hubby that he is, also put in 3 more gb for any extra pictures that I'll be downloading. Going to a much bigger reg. computer just takes getting used to when I'm used to the keyboard and other things on the laptop. But in time I'm sure I'll get adjusted. The only one left now to have their own working computer is my youngest daughter. Hers will only be set up for childrens learning games for now.
    Computers-wow-seems when they go down, we can't live without them. Sometimes we wonder how we ever did without computers growing up. what a thought to leave you with. Any comments?

2. Loading...

3. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Petunia, you aren't the only one. The few times my computer has been 'sick', I am sick also. :( It is my lifeline. Can't do without it. Now that is 'sick' to be so dependent on something. Up until 12 years ago, I really cared nothing about computers. I used one at work :-| , but when I got home, that was it. My husband was in the computer software business (out of our home) and he had 3 computers in his office! Didn't even go in to his office :rolleyes:

4. Calomaar

Calomaar Deputy's Friend

There are the obvious differences, with the desk top computer, you are stuck at the desk where it is set up, with the lap top you were free to compute where ever you wanted to. I used to find it fun to go out doors in the nice weather. The less people that use a computer, the better for you, less "stuff" to sift through to find your files, and your time at the desk is less complicated. There are many other comparisons, memory size, operating systems, age, extra hardware, screen size, and on and on. The bottom line is, do you like the switch, are you comfortable with the new computer, that's what counts. You will get used to the different key board and other, in due time. I hope you enjoy the new system.

Tom

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Petunia, you will get used to the PC, just takes time.
    Not long ago we all three shared one computer and I never dreamed that someday we would each have one of our own...especially me.

Randy has asked me several times if I want a laptop, for a while he and Amanda each had one....until she fried hers by spilling a glass of water on it. But I am perfectly happy with my PC and my flatscreen monitor. Amanda chose a PC for her replacement computer instead of going back to a laptop.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm so used to having a desk-top computer that I find it really hard to use a laptop. I prefer to go to my desk and work as that way I get peace and quiet in a room on my own and Ian can do his own thing elsewhere in the house.
    I must admit that I didn't realise just what a dinosaur my last computer was though. :oops: This new ones zips along at a great rate of knots and is so much more efficient.

Enjoy your new computer Petunia and I'm sure it won't take you long to getting right at home with it. :stew1:

7. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Thankyou for all your comments. Though this one is a hand-me-down, it is much faster then the laptop was and like I said, I do have more memory for pictures I can download later. I'm sure in time I get used to this one. For now I'm enjoying looking back on all our old family pictures.

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I was just lost when my computer crashed.I had an old gateway backup.but it was so slow I couldn't get into the Stew.I could get my e-mails.

9. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I'm sure you will love it. I love my computer sitting on my desk with all my books and junk close at hand. I would be lost without it. A considerate hubby is a great thing to have also. :)

10. mtathome

mtathome Seedling

I'd be lost without a computer, as I work at home on it. I have both a desktop and a laptop, and I much prefer the desktop, though I do work outside on the laptop sometimes when the weather is warm, but overall I prefer the desktop.

Even when I do use the laptop, I use a separate keyboard for it, as I don't like its keyboard. Plus, I'm afraid I'll spill on it and fry the whole thing. That's one nice thing about desktops, you can replace the parts piece by piece if something happens.