A Flower!! A Flower! I grew a flower!!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi, city slicker here. Before you think I hit my head on that glacial erratic from yesterday, rest assured that is not the case. My first ever tomato flower was born today.

[​IMG]
    Tomato Flower ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

It will not, however, be cause panic in the produce aisle of our local grocery store and the produce pickers in southern California will stay employed. Our local farmer Brown may raise an eyebrow but then settle back to doing his weeding. I am concerned that a bee may not see the flower so I have advertised for their services.

[​IMG]
    Help Wanted ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

Does anyone know how ling a tomato flower stays in bloom? Do I need two flowers to make a crop? I did not want to use a brush and assist the bees as I did not want to chance wiping out the entire tomato crop with an errant brushstroke. :-(

I will be on the lookout for flower #2

City Slicker, Jerry

P.S. I will not hold my breath waiting for something green.........yet.........

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jerry, Relax, take a deep breath and wait. It is self pollinating, no bees needed. Sorry to put them out of a job, but that is the tomatoes doings, not mine.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Wow!! A flower with an automatic transmission! :)

Jerry

P.S. With the economy in bad shape that explains the decline in bee populations, they are in the unemployment line.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

yep. they are so underworked! Actually, just go out and tap the plant lightly (not hard enough to break it) and if the pollen is ready to drop it will drop onto the pistil and pollinate itself. This is why the plants are "true" to seed. see how easy? no need to worry. grow something else to put all those bees to work, but not peppers or eggplant or peas...same issue.

SongofJoy57 likes this.

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Using the q-tips helps. I did last spring and ended up with over 400 tomatoes. I didn't get any eggplant this year until I did the q -tip thing, too. Peppers, I didn't have to use anything. We have a few bees but we have tons of grasshoppers. They just eat the plants though.

dooley

SongofJoy57 likes this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Jerry, that is a very handsome tomato blossom, and if bees were attracted to that sort of thing, that bloom would be crawling with them. Move your sign to your day lilies--the pollen is good for the bees!
    I have no idea how long a tomato bloom lasts. However, I do see the possiblity for an interesting experiment here. Put a clock and a calendar next to the bloom, and mark the day and time it falls off and the little tiny tomato appears.

SongofJoy57 likes this.
  8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Congrats Jerry! Can't wait to see your first tomato.

9. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

This post is just too funny and that SIGN... I can see Jerry you are really fond of that tiny yellow bloom and have great expectations!

10. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Jerry I am right there with you!!! Last night I saw my first tomato of the season! It is about the size of a big pea right now. I will be watching every day.....

SongofJoy57 and DeepWoods like this.
  11. mart

mart Strong Ash

Yep,, those bees are just part time employees. We just call them in when needed.

12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

13. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Going to see if we have anymore ripe ones. Just started-cherry ones are splitting from heat. But we have Many bees. Looked out both Hummers and bees in Rose Of Sharon.