A Turkey Tale

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by 2ofus, Nov 24, 2015.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

This actually happened to me 40 years ago!
    We bought a small farm and I decided to raise chickens. I bought 20 mixed baby chicks thinking I'd keep 12 egg layers and one rooster and butcher the extras. Then I saw the turkey's! Oh yes, turkey dinners! So I bought 5 turkeys. They all grew and the chickens started laying eggs and the turkeys were getting big enough to butcher. However I found one turkey had started sitting on a 6 chicken eggs. Great! I added 6 more eggs under her so I'd get more chickens and I butchered the other 4 turkeys. 12 days later the eggs were all gone. I chewed the kids out for gathering those eggs and added more eggs, 16 days later...a repeat. I told the kids I'd gather the eggs myself even though they kept saying they didn't take the eggs ! I put more eggs under the turkey. 15 days passed and I checked under the turkey and the eggs were gone. I knew the kids didn't get them. I also noticed the turkey was HUGE! :setc_015: That darn turkey was eating the eggs! I found out Thanksgiving day that a 34 pound turkey would barely fit in my oven!

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I love your tale of the turkey! We had one hen who would sneak into a nest box and eat an egg. I have a glass darning egg used for darning socks, and also useful for breaking a hen of the habit of eating eggs. I think she had a sore beak for a couple of days!

2ofus likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Really, really good Thanksgiving story. They say that sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction. I would have never thought that the turkey would have been eating those eggs! That is remarkable. Bon appétite.

2ofus likes this.
  5. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Who knew that turkeys ate eggs? Not this city gal, that's fer sure!!! :D

2ofus likes this.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I know that darn egg eating turkey sure gained a lot of weight on them. I wonder if they can have high cholesterol? I do remember it was very tender and juicy and that it wouldn't fit on my largest platter. I inherited a super large roasting pan that it barely fit it and it took a long time to cook. It also fed 17 people with leftovers sent home with all.
    My fondest memories is being on our little 7 acres and raising the kids and all kinds of animals.

marlingardener and Henry Johnson like this.
  7. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Really good story, 2ofus, thanks for posting it...
    Hank

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well I never. :eek:I don't think I've ever heard of egg eating turkeys before!!