A very long month.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Donna S, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Hi all. Feel like I've been gone forever. My mom's husband passed and we had to go to NY and move her to Virginia. I knew I was in for a lot of work, but that turned into a nightmare. We rented a uhaul big enough for a two bedroom house. She lived in a 900 sq ft. one bedroom apartment. We loaded everything she needed and everything she had to keep until we ran out of room. My mother is a HOARDER:setf_050:. Toni you would be appalled at what we threw away and gave away. I was, but had no choice. Once we arrived back in Va. we settled her in a apartment with all that would fit, the rest ended up in our garage. My 2 car garage is now a maze. So far I have found 35 sets of sheets, some brand new in the package, 100 bath towels, 20 blankets. Tote bags full of bills, some paid some not. We had to take her car away as she could not find her way home in a town she had lived in for 35 years. We also took her credit card away when we found her statements and found she was $15,000 in debt:frustrated: Every day is a hassle trying to sort it all out. We are exhausted. And my gardens are a mess. Thinking of buying a case of wine and drowning my sorrows.

Hoping all is well with all of you. I really miss GS.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A nice Chardonnay sounds appropriate for the occasion.
    My Mom was just the opposite, she either gave things away or sold them for less than $1 at garage sales....and before we moved her closer to us, she went on a throwing away binge and almost all the family photos went into the trash before I found out about it.:crying:

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh Donna, I'm so sorry you are going through all this. Perhaps if you contact a local thrift store associated with a charity, they could send a couple of trustworthy workers over to help clear out your garage and you'd get a nice tax write off for the donation.
    I went through Hades keeping my mother in her home, then clearing everything out and selling the house when she died. It's never easy, but having friends who care and to whom you can vent, helps.

carolyn likes this.
  5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

We donated so many things when my Mom went into a nursing home...most of it had been bought from the thrift store. She did not have money. Prayers for you and your husband, it is never an easy time when you have to be responsible for someone. I hope your Mom is doing OK. I hope things get better for you....not saying wine will help anything but a nice soak in the bath tub will..