A Wet November Day

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Droopy, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

It's mid-November on the Norwegian north-west coast. Our weather is unpredictable. Some years we've got frost and snow at this time and some years we're wet. This is a wet year. We've had one storm after the other and lots of rain. Today we were blessed with strong gale, lots of rain and a high tide warning to top it off. So what do we do on days like this? Well, we put on rain gear and go out of course. Gabriella and I aren't couch potatoes:

[​IMG]

I checked the skies to the east, south and west to see what was in store for us. Uuups!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ah, well. One needs one's exercise.

After the walk the ponies got their dinner. As you can see they're well dressed. Rugs with neck pieces covering them up to their ears:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The paddocks aren't too soft and muddy. Good drainage is important around here.

Since we were promised very high tide we thought we would check on our (newly acquired) boathouse. I thought I might be able to row about inside, but I couldn't.

[​IMG]

Ours is the red one. As you can see the sea's well clear of our door, and there were very little waves in our sheltered location.

We thought about going for a walk along the path leading to the beach but decided not to:

[​IMG]

I went back to the stables to evacuate the ponies since we don't have diver's gear their size. ;) The stable owners got themselves a new stable cat to keep Tigger company. Her name is Tussi (Eeyore). She's young and spends the days at the stables and the nights in one of the horse owner's house until she's older. She is adjusting to stable life just fine. I don't think the water's going to go that high, Tussi, so you can come down now:

[​IMG]

When I got home I had a very long, hot shower. Now I'm gonna wrap me in a blanket and wait for my dinner. The wind's supposed to die down during the night and the rain is supposed to move on so I am looking forward to a dryish ride tomorrow. That will be nice for a change.

2. Loading...

3. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Thank you for sharing your outing - quite beautiful, even with the damp weather.
    I really enjoyed going along with you - yet staying warm and dry. ;)

Cayuga Morning and Droopy like this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks for a glimpse at your day. What a great boat house, it is huge, what do you have a mini-Queen Mary?

Droopy likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It seems that we're getting much the same type of weather as you are Droopy. Continual, heavy rain, sometimes with snow, and gale force winds. We Scots and you Norwegians are used to conditions like this though and seem to manage no matter what the weather throws at us - at least so far. England is suffering from flooding in quite a few areas so let's hope things improve for them.
    I've noticed that most of the horses and ponies here have those wonderful rainproof rugs on too to protect them from the worst of the weather. The only ones without them are the sturdy little Icelandic and fell ponies.
    I really like your boat house and I'm glad it isn't flooded - let's hope it stays that way.
    Tussi looks right at home in the stables and I'm sure she'll help keep out any rodents that dare to stick their noses anywhere near her.
    Let's hope you get a dry day for your ride tomorrow.

Droopy likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Zuzu, thanks for joining me. :) Sometimes going on a virtual walk is the best way.

Eileen, I can't remember that I've had to use the neckpieces on the horses' rugs so often before. So either my mind's slipping or the rain is much harder these days. Our rain gauge held 33 mm / 1,3 inches this morning, so it's been a wet 24 hours. :eek: At least I don't have to shovel it. *lol* Our long-term forecast says we might have to shovel on Saturday. We're going to have showers all week, but nothing as bad as yesterday. They say. There are some grey clouds moving in now, but I hope it won't amount to much since I'm off outside shortly.

*lol* Thank you toni. :) We haven't actually given our boat a name yet, but Mini Queen Mary sounds good. It comfortably seats two. Three's a crowd:

[​IMG]

We're thinking about finding one that can take four people and a dog. Any name suggestions will be much appreciated. :hi:

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Today our two rivers have burst their banks and the rain still isn't letting up. I'm so glad we live on high ground here in the Main Street as the folks in the valley are going to be experiencing real problems if this weather doesn't calm down soon. Did it stay dry enough for you to enjoy your ride? I do hope so. :fingerscrossed:
    Gosh I think some people here would be grateful for a craft like yours Droopy - especially at the moment. .

Droopy likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Rain, rain, rain......it's the same here.
    I was startled to see the water was creeping up on your boat shed.

That little red boat looks cute...just big enough for two --cosy and romantic.
    BTW--what is "Smaker"?

Now Droopy, those poor ponies look so sad out in the rain. Perhaps they are not too sad though, for there is food. Do those plastic containers that the hay is in have drainage holes in the bottom?

What are you trying to think up a name for....the little red boat or the new boat that you are looking for in the future?

That boathouse DOES look good though. Lotsa scope for things inside. Please keep us posted on how things develop there in that boathouse and how your search for a new little boat comes along.

This is so exciting, meid.

Droopy likes this.
  9. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Aw, :heart: your wee red Yacht-lette!
    Being that you have wisely chosen a low maintenance design, you could call it Rust Knot - or perhaps Rust Naught. :D

Droopy likes this.
  10. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Beautiful sky pic's Droopy. Hope you get a break from all the rain soon. You might have to start building an ark in your boat house.

Droopy likes this.
  11. Droopy

I'm so sorry to hear that you've got such awful flooding. We had a nice, dry day here so I got to ride without rain gear. I'd love to loan you our Mini Queen Mary, but I hope you won't need it.

Uhm... That's the pizza boxes left from our boathouse opening party. :smt087

Nope, we just turn them upside-down outside the paddocks when they're not in use.

The new one, but I think zuzu's petals already cracked it:

I think you're right. No wood or metal for us, please. We're no suckers for extra work. :sete_021:

We had a dry day today, Donna. It's going to rain until Friday, then it's going to snow. :smt022

12. leafylady

leafylady New Seed

Wonderful photos and I enjoyed reading your account of the day.

Droopy likes this.
  13. Droopy

Thanks leafylady. My days are kind of boring this time of year, but we try to make the most of it. Cocoa is a good cure for the winter months blues.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Say Droopy, I think you had told me about the plastic boxes already...I fergot.:oops:

15. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I enjoyed reading about your day and the great pictures too. Your horses look very handsome and comfortable in their rugs also. :like:

16. Droopy

No worries Sjoerd, it's probably your age. :scheming:

Ty 2ofus. I think my horses are creatures of comfort just like me. We're outside in all sorts of weather but we don't like to be too hot, cold or wet.