About short post replies

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

So, I should post full sentences, rather than one word or two words? But it is ok to just give a seed, right. if I have nothing noteworthy to say?

2. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi CM, if you find that your reply will be very short it's best to use a Seed of Patch instead :stew1:

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ok but that's a bit of a bummer.

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I think very short posts...a smiley or just a word or two....are meant in the best possible way. We want to support each other, we want people to know they're heard, we want to lend a shoulder.

We are a friendly, supportive and caring bunch, and I think those one word responses are most often just indicative of that. We may be pushed for time, rushing through to read as many threads as we can, but we also want to let the poster know that they were heard, so we at least post something, rather than nothing.

I completely understand Frank's point, but I also don't think we can be rigid about it, or we'll lose the very spontaneity and warmth and caring that this place is all about. If we're so focused on the rules when we respond that we can't just be authentic and who we are, then I think we've lost something very vital in the forum.

(Frank, I hope this doesn't come across as challenging or argumentative, that's not my intention at all.)

Advertisement
  5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Three things come to mind while reading Ronni's post.

1. To post here once in a while will keep the topic "bumped" and chances more people to read this. That's good.

2. Also I do agree that there should be just a little more substance in our posts. I am very busy but can find the minute to post 6 words rather than a "one worder".

3. I also think, we as a group, should make sure every new post is never, never left unanswered. I am sure I miss a bunch but when I see a new topic that is not answered within a few hours I make sure I post something back. To me, if I say something in a room full of people, someone should at least acknowledge that I have said something. Otherwise, what the silence says is that I have said nothing of value. That's not nice......

I know it's off the subject but I wouldn't want to be treated like that so I try to answer an unanswered new topic.

Anyway, I have been practicing what Frank suggested about unshort :D posts.

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

After reading the ideas and responses, I think we as a community are solving the problem. We understand that folks like to be heard and acknowledged; we do what we can even when pressed for time; and sometimes give a seed, then come back later to post a reply.

fatbaldguy and waretrop like this.
  7. Frank

Good points all, thanks. A good bit of the reason why I am re-emphasizing the existing short posts / low content rule is that while we of course need to preserve a friendly, relaxed atmosphere for our existing members, we also need to be conscious of the future members - the visitors to the site who have not yet registered. A forum containing more fleshed out posts is going to be more interesting than a forum with a lot of smiley posts, two word posts etc... Seeds and Patches are a nice balance to achieve this I feel.

8. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

I haven't posted anything for a while. One reason is that when members just send a seed, I do not get a note saying so. If I don't get a message (email) that someone has replied I don't go back to my posts. I would suggest that to send a seed or a patch you have to include a message, in this way, a couple of words might do.

9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

When someone gives me seeds, thanks everyone, I get a notification that it has happened even though they don't post anything.

Must be in your settings......OMG, You would get a million messages if it were working correctly. *Must go see how many seeds you really do have......* 2384 :eek: that's allot of messages to your email. :D

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I also get notified when I receive a seed and/or patch.
    You can leave a message when giving a patch too.

11. Frank

Hi Kildale, have you configured your Notification settings to receive mails? Click 'Edit Notification Settings' on your Notifications page to have a look.

12. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

I do get emails when someone writes a message in my posts, I didn't think I got an email if someone just sends a seed. Maybe I do but perhaps they are in with the message emails.

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Kildale, I give you lots of seeds. I just appreciate what nice pictures you post. Thanks!

14. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

I do appreciate all the seeds, patches and messages that I receive. Thanks to everyone.