Advice for narrow 2 side yard

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by planetpippa, Sep 8, 2008.

1. planetpippa

planetpippa New Seed

I have a narrow side yard with a curved gravel and flagstone path, flanked by curved beds and enclosed by a Virginia Creeper convered fence on one side and the house (White Brick) on the other. I have had a difficult time finding plants to flourish in the area. Right now it is mostly ground cover of Violets (lots of greenery...not many flowers)and Wandering Jew, which grows like crazy here in the summer with no care at all. Part of the day the sun beats down one one side of the other beds and the rest of the time it is in shade. As a result, sun loving flowers get leggy and lean into the path and shade loving plants get burned up. It is an area of garden that is difficult to water. Any suggestions? I am in North Texas. Pippa

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You need to aim your shopping cart towards plants that thrive in part shade not the sun lovers. Sun lovers need a minimum of 6 hours of full sun a day whereas the part shade plants will take to a place where the sun and shade is divided up.

Is it morning sun that area gets? Many part shade plants specifically require morning sun only with protection from the hot afternoon here in Texas.

Since that area is difficult to water and is in a sort of heat pit with a covered fence on one side and the house on the other, sticking with drought tolerant Texas natives or well adapted plants would be your best bet.

4. planetpippa

planetpippa New Seed

Thanks!

Yes, it really is a heat pit. I have a couple of photos of the area and when I can ge to photobucket I will try to post it. Are you familiar with Turk's Cap? I was at a gardening show this weekend and it was recommended.Best, Pippa

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Turk's Cap is a good one. I have one under the shade of both a Pecan tree and a Hackberry tree, it gets watered when I think about it or when it rains and has been growing and blooming with no problem for three years.
    Don't know how it will do in sun, but you could use it in an all shade corner where it should get to a nice size for you.

Advertisement
  6. LunaRea

LunaRea New Seed

you could get a tree to provide shade for the shade loving plants. I'd pick a tree that is already grown but not too big.

7. Papa2mykids

Papa2mykids Seedling

Tesax is a large state and covers many ranges, from the Southeas, Prairies, Mountains and Desert.

Get ahold of your Texas Parks and recreation or county extension to find out what plants will grow and do best in your area.

Get online and check for state plants etc.

Plants cross boundries, so look for Prairie and mountains plants etc.

Good luck

Ron