Advice needed to train already mature Confederate Jasmine

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Chabang, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Chabang

Chabang New Seed

Hi, I'm trying desperately to block out an ugly apartment complex behind my house. I have had some confederate jasmine growing very well on the fence and I finally put some posts up and ran wire across it so I could train the jasmine up to hopefully block the view. I'm just not sure now what to do with all of the jasmine already there since this is not a new plant. The jasmine has grown up and over the fence and hangs over the back of the fence about 2 feet down.

Should I just pull out what branches I can and attach them to the wire and it will eventually all fill in or should I hack off all of the jasmine that has grown over to the other side and train what is on my side of the fence to start growing up? I'm just worried if I don't remove what has grown over the fence it will take forever to grow enough to fill in the wire trellis. Any suggestions are appreciated!

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'd gently pull the jasmine back to your side and start training it on the wires. If you are careful most of the stems will not break, but if they do, make a fresh cut just above a leaf and the plant won't be upset!
    Confederate Jasmine grows like a weed here in central Texas, and is such a totally desirable plant!