Any favorite annuals?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tina, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Am I the only one who spends so much time trying to grow annuals? Just for them to die come November? I love the vibrant blooms of the annuals, though. I am growing (trying to grow)marigolds, cosmos, morning glory and coleus this year.
    What about you all? Any favorite ones?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I like to have impatiens for my hanging baskets as they are such cheery plants and go on flowering until the first frosts. :stew2:

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I love growing annuals from seed, especially morning glories, zinnias, impatiens, and a host of others.

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I am growing morning glories, marigolds, zinnias, alyssum, cosmos, the petunias, begonias, and I like coreopsis, pansies, poppies, impatients, and just about any other kind. I guess I change my flower beds every year. Some I grow from seeds and some I buy in flats from the nursery. dooley

Advertisement
  6. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I'm growing nasturiums, morning glories, petunias, impatiens,marigolds (white &yellow), coleus, pansy, zinnia is one of my new ones this year.

7. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

i want to get some growing this year, i have some seeds but am not familiar enough to remember exactly what i have at the moment. I know i have some Whirly Bird Mix Nasturtiums that my mum gave me last year that i did actually grow. Im going to grow them again this year and maybe some others..

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I usually grow Castor Beans, a few Salvia's, and Nigella from seed as I can never find those in the nursery's here.
    Oh yes and Datura.

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I like nasturtiums and morning glories and sweet peas and of course my geraniums!!!! ;)

10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Self-sowing calendula, and California poppy is cheery to me. I also save seed for the cosmos, poppies (oriental), and nastursiums.

11. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

i was reading in the other topic about over wintering geraniums....are they annuals if u can do that. I thought annuals died no matter what?

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I thought I had posted on here but i guess I didn't.I usually grow Stocks,snapdragons,pansies and patunias.I am not home to do that this spring.I hope some came back from seeds.Heather has tulips all over her tulip and iris bed by her front door.She also has violets all in her backyard.

13. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I love annuals, but always forget to sow many as I am so pre-occupied sowing veggie seeds for the allotment. However I do have lots that self sow around the garden, like love in a mist (Nigella), marigolds, poppies and cosmos. I love cosmos! I have remembered to sow Morning Glory and it has already made lovely sturdy little plants.

14. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Green_Numb:
    geraniums are an annual. but many bring them in the house to over winter. This is the method I use. Some will cut back geraniums, put them in a paper bag then start them back up in the spring. (I've had no luck with this method). There's been 2 dufferant thread about geraniums posted within the last 2 weeks. maybe those will help you also.

15. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I like annuals too, but only grow a few. Sweet peas, alyssum, midday blooms, marigolds and some lobelia and stuff in a couple of planters.

16. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I am very inpatient when it comes to seed so I usually buy plants if I can except for the cosmos. I like to throw the seed down in the end of May and then they are coming up and blooming when most other things are ending..I do throw other seeds in empty spots, marigolds, coreopsis , cone flowers but that is just to fill in....Sherry8