Any retaining wall experts here?

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Pianolady, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I need retaining wall ideas for a hill that'll require a retaining wall over 6' tall. Right now it's a concrete block wall, not attractive & leaning back (which is better than forward). Dirt has slowly been washed out over the years. It appears stable, but is very unattractive.

I'm assuming it'll need to be engineered by a professional, as it's at a 90 degree angle from the house holding up a hill.

Anyone done something like this? Have any pics or recommendations? I'm just starting to look at options, and could use some inspiration.

Retaining wall is to the right of the concrete steps. I really don't want to have to take out the steps, but will if I have to. The deck can be removed to put in the retaining wall, as we need to replace it anyway. The patio/landing at the top of the steps is a disaster (cracked & washed out underneath), will be removed and new put in at same time.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Thanks for the links, the 2nd one is particularly useful. We found CornerStone products that look nice, and have seen a few locally built this way that were a good 20' high. Bet it's pricey though! If anyone's used this product and has a review good or bad, I'd love to hear it.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Now those look really interesting. I love the fact that they interlock. :-D