Anybody knows what is wrong with my purple shamrock? Help!

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by av, Sep 21, 2012.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

So what I would do is put it in a clear plastic bag knotted and with small holes. Those leaves won't heal but it will stop someone from nibbling on them.....or you may fine bigger holes in the bag....that someone else added...

D-G and Frank like this.
  2. D-G

D-G New Seed

Hmmm I could try- thank you for the suggestion! I was also thinking of repotting and splitting the plant. One pot would stay inside and I would take the other one outside and see how that one holds up.

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Hardy Maple Plants Contributor

D-G: I am ariving a little late to this post. I think that first oxalis suffered sun scald...had it received more direct sun than it was used to?
    My oxalises do go into dormancy every now & then. It seems to happen if I am remiss re the watering or if I move them to a lower light spot. They look like they are dying, the leaves thin out, etc. If you let them rest a bit, then repot with fresh soil, water etc, they bounce right back. They have little corm like root things thay you can split up if you want.

I like your idea of planting one outside & keeping one as a house plant.

Re the oxalis with the morh-eaten leaves, do you have a cat that eats greenery by any chance?

D-G likes this.
  4. Odif

Odif In Flower

If only I could get rid of the oxalis that grows everywhere in my garden.

Advertisement
  5. Cayuga Morning

Yes! I agree Odif! They are a scourge aren't they?

I think the plant O-D has is oxalis triangularis, very cool deep maroon/purple leaves. Looks great in a pale green pot.

6. D-G

D-G New Seed

Hi Cayuga Morning - thanks for the reply. No...no pets at the house. What I ended up doing was I cut off all of the "sick" stems and now waiting for all of them to regrow from bulbs. A few little ones are already showing (see pic) but today I found several tiny snails around the new stem...could they have been eating the leaves of my purple shamrock?

Attached Files:

7. Cayuga Morning

Wow, snails! Is this plant outdoors? Obviously I would get rid of those snails!