Anyone else work with hypertufa?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Flowir, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Flowir

Flowir New Seed

I decided to renovate my front and back yard about a year ago. Well, close to the 'almost done' side of the project I was looking up plant information on line and found a project to make my own planters. I thought it was a great idea because pots can get quite costly. I needed larger planters. I gave it some thought because I had over fifty pots with plants already. I gave it a try and now I am so hooked. I have made several styles and sizes of pots and some garden art. I am having a blast. I hope to visit some craft shows and maybe sell some of the planters. I like making the pots and have become quite good at it. I have had a few friends and family see the pots and they are a 'hit. I will post some pics soon. Is there anyone else who plays with tufa and has suggestions and ideas?

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Making Hypertufa has been on my to try list for several years now. I'd love to see photos of yours Flowir :)

4. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

If you go way back in the Hobbies and Crafts forum you can find several posts and pictures about 'tufa'. I haven't tried it myself, but several members have. Waiting to see your pictures!

5. Flowir

Flowir New Seed

I will be posting pics soon. My sister has my digital camera and she is traveling.

I have some pots done, some are curing and I will make some more next week. I made some small round rocks and created a border around some plants. I took a chance. I was pleasantly surprised. I cant wait to post some pics so that I can get some feedback. Thanks for showing interest. I don't see tufa locally here and I am quite excited with this new hobby. The possibilities are endless. The only minor 'issue' is that tufa takes so long to cure. About three months. I'm gonna try some larger pots next.

Peace and Blessings

Dee

Advertisement
  6. songlim18

songlim18 Seedling

Dee, I read about creating a Hypertufa. Actually, I do not know of this word before. See, that is why I love this Stew. I get to learn new things about gardening every other day. Now, back to my reading .. It reads "Do not construct hypertufa — or store newly made hypertufa creations — in temperatures lower than 50 degrees or higher than 85 degrees". Do you know why?

7. Flowir

Flowir New Seed

Not sure. I started making my pots over the summer and it is VERY HOT here. I first stored them inside for a month and then put them outside in the sun for another month. I think you can put them outside in the sun for the entire curing process but they have to be in a plastic bag for the first month [or longer] so they can cure [dry] correctly and be stronger. I have not made much lately so I do not know how they fare in the cooler weather. I will be making some soon but it will be at least two months before I can see how they fare. Good news.........the ones that I made so far came out perfect. I am very pleased with the results.

8. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Songlim, the reason for keeping hyper tufa or any concrete construction at a fairly even temperature is that it contains water which either expands in cold weather or shrinks in hot. Either reaction can affect the material. You have to wait until the water in the original mix has either evaporated or been used up in the chemical reaction which takes place as the material is drying.

9. Mimi Zepp

Mimi Zepp New Seed

i did a small one

HI
    I did one of these containers and the process is simple. It's caustic (before hardening) so wear gloves and mask when mixing. but once you get the hang of the right mixture consistency it's easy. I have my little pot with small desert plants in it. It's extremely sturdy and weather resistant. I'd like to do some big ones.

Mimi
    Zepp