Arcade Game Joysticks From The 80s & 90s - Now To Be Used In Security Surveillance System!

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by S-H, Sep 29, 2023.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Who here remembers wasting hours of our time, (plus all our pocket money allowance), in video game arcades during the 80s and early 90s - Until of course PCs in every home became popular... Yes I know, we've all been there!

:snicker: :rofl: :smt044

OK, so now that we are done indulging in a bit of nostalgia - Who here can guess what these 2 joysticks (forgotten in my house since decades) I'm now going to use for now?

So what do you guys think my next do-it-yourself project is going to be?

:cool:

Who-so-ever can guess it correctly, will be credited with paying close attention to whatever I have said over the years. And so will be considered as an authority on knowing how my ultra toxic mind works...

:smt005

Since my 13th anniversary of joining GardenStew is coming up - I figure it will be fun to learn who knows me best.

:D

IMG-20230926-WA0000.jpeg IMG-20230926-WA0005.jpeg IMG-20230926-WA0003.jpeg

Frank, Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  2. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Frogger?

S-H likes this.
  3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

No no no... Although these may be arcade video game joysticks, (not sure if they are even made today) - But I'm not going to use them as such. Therefore this isn't the start of my second childhood.

I actually bought them to make something I had decided to build 30 or so years ago. But technology wasn't there yet, and costly too. Also 30+ years ago I was in my early teens, so not exactly able to afford top of the line electronic components... So I kept these in storage, (airtight), for a time when technology will catch up. And I too will be able to afford it - However I later forgot all about them, (as when you're growing up, your priorities shift very rapidly).

Now I found them, and realized that today technology has not just caught up, but surpassed my original objective... So this means that now I'll be able to build what I had envisioned decades ago with incredible ease.

So alright, please guess again. :cool:

What would a younger version of myself be wanting to build, at that adolescent age, and in those times?

Hint: Security & weapons related - Inspired by sci-fi TV and crime drama shows, and classic war movies.

:rofl:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
  4. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Fighter Jet?

S-H likes this.

Advertisement
  5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

No... :snicker:

A pan, tilt, rotate, zoom in & out CCTV varifocal camera! I plan to motorize everything, which will be controlled by those 2 joysticks!

IMG-20230929-WA0022.jpeg IMG-20230929-WA0020.jpeg

Got high power geared motors too, to make it all work flawlessly.

IMG-20230929-WA0052.jpeg

As well as powerful blinding floodlights for nighttime.

IMG-20230929-WA0050.jpeg

And a 2 way (potentially ear drum destroying) loud public address system too - So I can scream at anyone lurking outside.

IMG-20230927-WA0002.jpeg

Yes, I can easily now buy a system with similar features - But where's the fun in that?

So I rather build my own system, and hook it to the security DVRs. This way I'll be able to control everything via the internet, through my smartphone, (whenever I'm away from home). With 24/7 audio and video footage recording.

Another advantage of building something like this yourself. Is that you now aren't bound by any production regulations - Like lights shouldn't be so bright that they cause someone eye damage. And sound of the PA system too shouldn't be so loud that is results in permanent ear damage. And no burning/cutting lasers either as weapons.

So all of these nanny state inspired type of rules and regulations, I can now easily avoid, (all legally), as I'm building the system myself. Therefore I can make it as intimidating as I like - So no need to keep it apologetically docile, (as I won't be marketing it commercially anywhere). Such is how the law is over here.

Am also in the process of making a long range microphone too. So I can easily listen into whatever loitering people in the distance are talking about. Because I have reason to believe that everyone at some level is always plotting against me - Just a feeling I have...

:snicker: :rofl: :snicker:

eileen likes this.
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

To build such an intimidating system - I got inspiration from watching these movies:

Stalag 17.
    Too Late The Hero.
    Bridge On The River Kawai.
    Merry Christmas Mister Lawrence.
    Enemy At The Gates.

TV shows and events which also inspired me for this project:

WWE WrestleMania.
    Mission Impossible.
    CSI, (all).
    MacGyver.
    Babylon 5.
    Mandalorian.
    WestWorld.
    Bonanza.
    Narcos.
    Just Call Saul.

I believe I've got to do whatever I must - To protect my garden from trespassers. And considering what I've unfortunately had the colossal displeasure of witnessing in recent years worldwide - Leads me to now believe that nothing is an overkill anymore. Specially not when it comes to security. Therefore no compromises will be made in this, and absolutely no leniency exhibited.

My only regret is that I still can't have sharks with laser beams attached... But everything else I can now thankfully do on my own!

eileen likes this.
  7. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

A tank? or tracked hotrod vehicle?

8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

:headscratch:

No, a CCTV security camera which can pan, tilt, rotate, as well as zoom in & out. With floodlights, and a public address system too, (as well as a long range microphone) - All controlled by those 2 joysticks.

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  9. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

That is entirely too practical!

S-H likes this.
  10. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Yes unfortunately I couldn't get sharks with laser beams attached incorporated into this security surveillance system... However on the plus side, not having them will now make rest of this build very easy!

:snicker:

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  11. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

'Yes, I can easily now buy a system with similar features - But where's the fun in that?"

You have earned honorary status as a g
    fellow good ol'boy.....just remember the tea has ice cubes down here.

S-H likes this.
  12. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Just got these steel woks (of about 9 inches in diameter). To be used as the parabolic reflector of the long range microphone.

1696429212354780930634.jpg

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  13. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Will you polish them? I understand a brittle surface may reflect wave energy better than soft porous? So will you then heat treat them to harden the surface? How will you determine the optimal collection point? A tone generator? That seems to require a threaded rod behind the mic for adjustment. Is that your plan?

S-H likes this.
  14. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Since I live right at the coastline, corrosion is my only concern. To combat which, I'll just apply a few coats of epoxy paint to the whole thing - Which automatically will smooth out the finish as well, (and obviously make it withstand the elements).

Optimal focal point of the mic I'll determine by simply watching the output on the oscilloscope.

Pacnorwest and Dirtmechanic like this.
  15. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Could you not impregnate the plastic with aluminum oxide which having a hardness near diamond on the rockwell scale would serve to improve the very poor radiation interaction the plastic epoxy will create? I get that while hard, rust is also such a matte finish ceramic as to be an absorber of sound at some level unknown to me.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023