Arcade Game Joysticks From The 80s & 90s - Now To Be Used In Security Surveillance System!

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by S-H, Sep 29, 2023.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

No, that in my opinion would be an overkill. So not worth the trouble, (otherwise this project will never get done) - Besides I'm not interested in picking up conversations taking place in Antarctica. Just interested in knowing what people a few hundred feet away are talking about... Therefore steel covered with epoxy paint (as rust proofing) will be good enough for this project.

I would have gone for plastic, but this was available in the right size and shape. And since it's steel, it's mostly immune to vandalism, like kids throwing rocks at it for example, (which I know they will at some point in the future). Also I can weld on the brackets and other stuff, as it's steel after all. So very easy for me to work on. I mean it's a wok, so by design it's already pretty robust piece of cookware. I'll just convert it into a parabolic mic.

2. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

We're talking about sound waves here, and that too of audible range. So doesn't require anything elaborate. Therefore steel with epoxy paint (to make it better withstand my corrosive environment) should be good enough - People on YouTube using tupperware also have been able to achieve very good results. However I'm using steel, (so that it becomes immune to vandalism also).

Otherwise I can use silicone carbide dust as an additive too, which is easily available (in different grits) as an abrasive material - Used in water jets which cut thick steel plates with precision, to making general purpose grinding wheels and cutting disks for metal working.

However for such a simple application which I'm going for - Just not needed...

4. josephbut

josephbut New Seed

I can totally relate to spending hours and pocket money in those arcades – it was all part of the fun. Now, as for your next DIY project with those joysticks, I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're turning them into a cool security surveillance system. Am I close? Your 13th anniversary on GardenStew is a fantastic occasion to test who really knows your creative mind best. Can't wait to find out what you're up to!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2024

Advertisement