Aspirin in the garden?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by PepperDude, Jul 6, 2008.

1. PepperDude

PepperDude In Flower

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Very interesting reading Richard. :-D

4. Glyptostroboides

Glyptostroboides New Seed

Salycilic acid is the component used in aspirin and they extract it from White Willow bark (Salix alba)- tinctures of willow bark are often prescribed by herbalist as a mild, natural pain reliever and for inflammatory conditions such as rheumatism. I wonder if infusing willow bark or using composed willow bark as mulch may benefit too?

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If you wanted to try the Willow bark infusion or as mulch it would depend on how strong the Salycilic acid is in the bark. I don't have any idea what the strength of it is compared to aspirin dosage. But you would need to know that before using it on the plants since the Salycilic acid is poisonous to plants when applied full strength.

Then some experimenting with how much to dilute the infusion or how thin to spread the mulch to find the amount that would benefit the plants as oppossed to killing them.

And so far the synthetic form seems to only be working for bacterial spot on Tomatoes. And then there is the question of what are the possible long term harmful side effects of a man-made synthetic.

Or am I thinking too much on this? ;)

6. Glyptostroboides

Glyptostroboides New Seed

He he! No, I don't think so. :-D You're spot on by thinking of the concentrations that would be needed in order for it to have a benefit rather than detrimental effect.

I'd definitely be concerned at eating tomatoes exposed to man-made salycilic acid - I'd think there might be a cumulative effect of the acid in the body, and I'd imagine that this would have an impact on the body's ability to detect pain. And, who knows what's already on our tomatoes? :eek: