Autumn in Texas

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by marlingardener, Sep 25, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Going down our path to the barn, this is what you see across our pasture:
    Hayfield view.jpg
    The farm in back of us has had four cuttings of hay this year, and this is probably the last. His is "row run" hay, not fertilized coastal bermuda, so each big round bale sells for between $60 and $80. This year has been really good for hay, so the prices will be on the low side.
    Behind the copse of trees is a cow barn--really a three-sided roofed shed with the open side facing south (we have fewer winds and less rain come from the south). We can tell when a storm is coming because the cattle head for the shed!
    In the upper left there is a pile of brown stuff--that is a hay bale he has out for the cattle as supplemental feed. They gather around it like office workers at the water cooler, and munch away. The calves just stand and stare at it--"I'm supposed to eat that?"
    Along the fence line between the farthest bales you'll see some white. That is Late Blooming Boneset, a very prolific wildflower. It's all over this part of Texas, and some untended fields look as if they have been snowed on.
    Just thought you might like to see what autumn looks like in central Texas. Fall is a wonderful time of year, but all times are wonderful here!

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I loved your photograph and the explanation of what we could see. Clever cows going to the shed for shelter - who wants to be wet when you can go somewhere and stay dry? The farmers here have had a good hay year too this time around but only two cuttings (some three) compared to the four yours have had. I just wish I had a view like yours to look out on.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Lovely view. Lovely explanation as well (appreciated it)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Your area of Texas is beautiful and so green. I enjoyed the explanations also.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Looks quite similar to our area ! You mean they get that much for regular pasture hay this year ? We did a few years ago but last few years everyone has been overloaded with hay and most is good fertilized weed free coastal, common and bahia grass. Most is selling at about $40. per large roll ! Will have to take some pics of our pasture. We didn`t even bale this year because its cheaper to buy hay for the horses at those prices. People think that $60. a roll is high for hay but they have no idea what it takes to get a pasture to that point. Growing grass ain`t cheap!

Philip Nulty and Henry Johnson like this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

What a lovely view! I would never want to leave home!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thanks for the photo & description MG. I love the view. Those huge round hay bes are gorgeous. They are so big, I am surprised they sell for so little.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, I don't want to leave home! Husband says I'm a regular "stick-in-the-farm" since I only go into town under duress, and it takes a trip to a rose nursery to get me away for an entire day.
    Mart, there are so many ranches around here that many pastures get grazed, not hayed. That's the price posted at the feed store, but I'm not sure anyone is paying it!
    Glad you all are enjoying our view almost as much as we do!

Philip Nulty and Henry Johnson like this.
  10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I love views like that,..you can stare and let ones mind go blank,..great description of what is in the picture,..yes i can see that Boneset but one would never suspect there was a cow barn hidden beyond the copse of trees,..lol at the calf description on the feed,..fussy creatures.