Back yard invasion, WMDs and armies of thousands

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Jerry Sullivan, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The invasion started off quietly. A few at a time. Years ago I noticed the scouts trying to establish a beach head in secluded areas of the garden. Easy to pull they were kept in check, all was well, or so I thought. The years passed by and there was no large gathering of the 'enemy,' until last year. Somehow last year the invaders managed to flower without much notice. Perhaps I was preoccupied, vacations have a tendency to do that. They saw the opportunity to strike. Banners of yellow and orange waved in the summer wind. One by one explosions launched their seeds into the air. The invasion was set for the following spring, the troops were in position, all they needed was rain and time. This spring they had both. Jewelweed by the thousands spread across large swaths of the the dumping area (where unwanted dirt, stones and garden refuse and a few excess plants go to retire). Good hiding spots from which to launch another invasion. The alarm was sounded. TO THE BATTLEMENTS!! TO THE BATTLEMENTS!! Every weed for themselves. Show no quarter!! Hoards of weeds were at the gates!!

[​IMG]
    Hoards of Jewell Weed advance to grab new territory

[​IMG]
    Inside the advancing army

I[​IMG]
    Creeper sentries spot the invading army

[​IMG]
    Pachysandra and daylily scouts skirmish with advance troops

It was time to launch a counter attack. A weapon of mass distraction was needed. An unseen ally struck with its WMD at the unsuspecting weeds in the small hours of the morning. Dark shapes moved from plant to plant. Heads were lopped and flowers devoured as members of the Cervidae family (Wild Munching Deer) feasted on the tasty treat. However, it was not enough there were too many. Thousands survived the nighttime raid. More was needed. It was time to swing into action with the The Blade of Death. From a dark corner of the toolshed the deadly blade of steel heard the call. In another corner the whip cutter was ready to go round and round with the enemy.

The antagonists:

General J.Weed, Several thousand savage troops

Major P. Ivy, The enforcer no one likes, Tree observation post

The protagonists:

General P. Sandra, 1100 troops of the home guard

Colonel D.Lily, Sentries

Major V. Creeper, Tree observation post

General W. Poppy 1000 troops in reserve

Tomorrow: Counter attack!!

Jerry

TheBip, Jewell and Donna S like this.
  2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I can hear the sound of drum beats and bugles in the background... they're getting closer... and closer...

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

May the force be with you and your troops tomorrow.

Before killing them all how about posting a couple of their mug shots Impatiens capensis (Common Jewelweed, Orange Balsam) We have photos of seedlings and blooms but none of the mature plant and since the ones doing the invading are usually grownup before they are noticed, it would be very helpful for other guardians of the garden to know as much as they can about how to identify their enemy.

5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I don't know what you have against day lilies... I have them all around my yard and love them.

You might find a buyer of herbs to buy your JEWEL WEED. It is a potent remedy for POISON IVY. They make bar soaps that sells $5 for a 3.5 oz bar of soap. I bet you could make some money off that herb if you wanted to. I used to know someone who collected herbs to sell, but havent seen him for years. Perhaps a healthfood store could connect you with someplace that buys medicinal herbs.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Ann, Daylilies are fine, I grow lots of them. All daylilies were spared. The jewell weed grows exponentially. As I can only cut down the plants in my yard, I can expect a similar invasion in a couple of years. Typically I walk back into the woods and pull the new plants, last year i did not do that. There were too many to pick hence the sickle solution.

Jerry

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I hope you can find a buyer for your jewell weed, and maybe get rid of all them ?

Glad you like the daylilies.

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Jerry... after looking at the weeds you have to battle....I shall never complain about my weeds again (hopefully). Normally, I can clean out the flower beds in just a couple of days. And it doesn't require instruments of destruction... just bending over and pulling them out.
    I have faith that your troops will win this battle! :smt075

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

You are lucky, terror nuts grass was not commisioned for the invasion. :D My battle with them is continous and all captured terror nuts are slow cooked and fed to the compost. :D

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

KK & Jerry, obviously each region has its invaders!
    I too have a patch of jewel weed on my property (also bordering a neighbors where they are rampant), & I try to keep a tight eye on them.

I also have some other weed which to date is nameless. It showed up in my garden and initially looked so pretty that I allowed it to stay. By the time I realized it was a Trojan horse, it had already sent profuse seeds everywhere. That was 10 years ago. I am still battling it. I am so obsessed with it that I have even been known to pull it from a neighbor's garden without first asking!!!! Rather embarrassing.

Good luck with your battle plans Jerry. You too, KK.