Badly Overgrown Yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by BRADON, Jul 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BRADON

BRADON New Seed

Okay, before I start, keep in mind I'm 16. I need things explained thoroughly and I do not have money to buy anything at the moment. Right now I have a Machete, Weed-eater, and a push-mower. This yard is severely overgrown. We moved in about a week ago. I want to make the yard pretty for my mamaw. The yard is very big. It'll take some time but I've got patience. Anything for my mamaw. But I have no clue where to start. Theres everything from honeysuckle to fallen trees and piles of wood that the original owner burnt and left. Ill upload pictures. My papaw wants to keep some of the tree saplings but not all. I cant use chemicals either.

2. Loading...

3. BRADON

BRADON New Seed

Pictures will be uploaded as soon as possible.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Bradon, welcome to the Stew! It sounds as if you have quite a task ahead of you, but I admire a young man's determination to make a nice yard for his mama.
    To begin, put your location (state, nation, growing zone if you know it) with your ID on the left of your posts (you can do that with your profile). That will help us give better information and advice. I'm in Texas, and try my best to give good ideas but I'm not too helpful to our Canadian members!
    To start, get all the loose stuff--wood, branches, etc.--into a pile so you won't be running into it with your mower. Ask your mama if she wants to keep the honeysuckle (it can take over if not kept trimmed back) and have your daddy tie a colored ribbon around the saplings he wants to keep.
    Start on one small section of the yard, probably an area closest to the house. Get that whipped into shape, and then do another section while maintaining the first. Eventually you are going to need a pair of long handled loppers for pruning, and a bow saw for cutting saplings down at ground level. When you get around to cutting down the saplings, we can give you ideas on how to kill the root system so they don't pop up again.
    Good luck, post photos, and ask any questions you like!

Frank likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome Brandon. Marlingardener has given you some sound advice. When we see your photographs I'm sure we can help you out even more.

Advertisement
  6. kate

kate In Flower

Welcome Brandon!

Gee if only we could ship to where ever you are I have loads of plants in pots.
    Take your time, gardening is meant to be fun not a competition....most of all enjoy!
    K

marlingardener likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Brandon and welcome. I am glad you are asking and explaining your need for detail, otherwise we might think you know much more than you do...
    that said, where do you live? that will help with your project. Not all plants grow well everywhere. they have a heat and cold tolerance to a particular zone/s.
    How big is big?
    how much shade/sunshine do you have? what direction does the yard face? north, south E or W?
    Are you planning on edible gardening/landscaping/plants? or ornamental?
    how much work do you want it to be to maintain it? do you LIKE to do yard work/gardening?
    do you live with them or are you there on a regular basis?
    how much can they do to help or maintain the yard once you have it done?
    Budgets can be very small but have a great design and be done on a dime... plant swaps, starting from seeds, sharing or dividing plants... all pretty reasonable in cost.

Many questions for thought. You do not need to answer each one or you can answer everyone as you like. Keep a notebook for your questions or ideas as you are working.

keep your machete sharp and be careful with it. Also get a pair of hand pruners and loppers to work with. INVEST in them they are essential tools for the yard. don't buy junk ones. buy the best you can afford.
    Good luck.

Islandlife, Frank and marlingardener like this.