Basil about to flower

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by smmachajewski@gmail.com, Jul 4, 2011.

1. smmachajewski@gmail.com

smmachajewski@gmail.com New Seed

So I originally had rosemary, sage, basil, and thyme in a big pot. The sage was beginning to overcrowd, so I transplanted it and WOW! did the rest of my herbs explode. So happy that I made a good gardening decision. :D

Now, my once-tiny basil looks like its going to flower soon. each of the clusters of the leaves are starting to grow little buds. I'm kind of curious to see what basil flowers look like, but don't want to ruin the plant.

So, should I let it flower, or pinch the buds off? If I pinch the buds, how should I do this? Thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Georgia Girl Beth
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. member18439
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I always pinch the buds off my basil. Just follow them down and pinch the stem just below the last bud. Voila!

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yes, follow Netty's instructions. You can also pinch the whole plant back if it is starting to stretch and get leggy. this will help keep the plant nice and compact. The flowers are nothing exciting, but if you want to let one go to flower (so you can see it) then pinch it off, you can do that also.

If you like basil and want it for the winter, chop your basil, that you pinch back, and freeze in an icecube tray with water, then pop the cubes out once they are solid and store them in a ziplock bag to use later.

5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I have lemon basil growing in places I never planted it. It can become somewhat invasive so keep an eye on it. At least mine seems that way.

6. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

Invasive herb

Basil is very delicate, and I don't put it outside until late June or early July here in Western Washington, so don't think you have an invasive basil. There are some types of oregano that are very invasive, and need to be careful what type you get. You want Greek oregano or Origanum vulgare subspecies hirum, which is not invasive, has white flowers and a much stronger, spicier flavor.
    There is also a lemon thyme, and that seems to like the colder weather, as the thyme in my garden is the lushest it has ever been, after a "relatively" cold weather here, not near as cold as wisconsin.