Bathroom Makeover Help?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by aalisha, Jun 28, 2011.

1. aalisha

aalisha New Seed

Hi guys,

My friend just had his bachelor pad done, but the bathroom is looking very drab. Any ideas on how to add some style to the room (while keeping it "masculine")?

[​IMG]

For one thing, I told him to brighten up his wall color. I also told him to change the plain mirror to something with a more contemporary design, like maybe this one:

http://www.bathroommirrorsdirect.com/trory-beveled-bathroom-mirror-13378-b

or this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Round-Shaped-Bevelled-Mirror/dp/B0009HGQKC

Any help, product suggestions, and color recommendations will be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. opkpropmgr
      Replies:
      Views:

3. chloe3789

chloe3789 New Seed

I agree he definately is need of a new mirror, and I think maybe a darker color on the walls.
    Maybe if he picked a mirror that is along the same color lines of the counters, then pick out the darkest color in the mirror for the walls, that would look fantastic

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Bathrooms need to be bright, so I'd paint the walls a stark white to mirror the bathroom washbasin, then pick up the beige/tan of the counter in towels, mirror frame, shower curtain (if there is one), and perhaps a throw rug. What color is the flooring, and what material is it?
    Any small objects in the bathroom (soap dispenser, cup holder, etc.) could be either chocolate brown, or even better, bright red.
    The mirror definitely needs to be oval--there are so many right angles now in the room that you don't need more.

aalisha likes this.
  5. aalisha

aalisha New Seed

Thanks for the response! I'm a bit confused with the wall color though, should he opt for a bright color or a darker one? If you can show me the exact hue, that will be even better.

As for an oval mirror, very good idea! Should he get one with a thick frame or something with a very thin frame only
    ala http://www.bathroommirrorsdirect.com/sherise-bronze-oval-bathroom-mirror-01101-b?

The tiles are colored gray by the way. Bright red home decor pieces sound like a good idea and I can imagine it will be a very nice contrast against the tiles!

I'll give him these ideas; any more suggestions would be very much welcome.

Advertisement
  6. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Oh well, I'm a guy and I like it as it is. So far. Walls look bright enough to me. Arent they white?
    And the mirror. Nothing against it. I love it's big and wide. We guys don't need it only to shave in... sometimes we also need to check other stuff in it... lol
    I'd put a nice bowl (not to big... ) with nice stones/rocks in it and fill it with water. By the sink.
    As time goes by, I am sure your friend will ADD to this look/design.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Aalisha,
    I don't know what paint stores or paint brands are available to you, but a stark white is a stark white, not oyster, not eggshell, not "Victorian", just plain old white.
    I think a thin frame on the mirror would look best. I think Calinromania would agree--guys don't usually like fancy, and especially in a bathroom with humidity, hair spray, etc. the less you have to clean, the better.
    White, gray, and red--a really great combination, and masculine to boot. Your boyfriend should thank you for taking such an interest in his surroundings!

8. crismacana

crismacana New Seed

I agree. He should change his mirror, I say a circle one or an ellipsoid mirror.

9. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

The overall house style is important. This looks like 60's style, so would want to keeps clean lines in any mirror.
    Does your friend like textures, movement, simple, busy, contrasty? Very important. My husband hates a lot of contrast or busyness, and I need texture and movement, when a decorator helped sort that out, made our life much easier.
    Cost. Takes more money to replace mirrors,etc. This mirror looks fine to me. Maybe add some art on the door to reflect in the mirror when it is closed? Paint is cheap. I agree with no dark colors in a bathroom, got to see, and our eyesite goes with time. but there may be a color that makes the marble pop. My preference would be some color, not stark white, and this is very individual.
    Try out some colors, for the soap dish, etc, from a store that you can easily return stuff to. I do think red in this would add a lot. There is something to the idea of Feng Shui elements, water, wood, earth, fire, metal, in just a balanced pleasing look. There is a lot of "water (with the mirror), dark wood, and earth. Metal colors, fire colors,would balance it out.
    Where are the rods for towels?

Frank likes this.
  10. dytecture

dytecture New Seed

I like your mirror choice, the other thing you can change might be the lighting, which I would propose something more neutral.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from dytecture's Garden )

11. monicat

monicat New Seed

It looks quite nice actually. I would add some sconces, nothing too pretentious but big enough to give a lot of light.

12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Dytecture--
    I like your photo on the right! So much nicer. It makes me realize I am confused by what is reflected in the big mirror on the left. Aalisha, was this photo taken with the bathroom door open? How does it look/what is reflected in the morror with the door closed?

13. designtoddy

designtoddy New Seed

I personally think you are closer than you think. The space needs interest and texture. This can be achieved with towels, bath accessories and artwork. I do see in the background you have a modern style, so less is more.

If the wall color is leaving a bit to desired (for your style) try an unexpected color (not biege.) Pick a color direction from other rooms in teh house.

I also do not recommend changing the mirror. First the proportion and scale is too small. Also, you are spending money on another component that won't make a significant splash.