Beeting The Elements

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Sjoerd, Sep 17, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

upload_2023-9-17_17-21-54.jpeg

Remember this foto and question about freezing onions in along with the beetroot?
    Well, this year, we just froze the beetroot alone. Thanks for the advice Mel. We are planning to do them together next year. This years harvest was not good due to the weather and voles. We have to figure out a way to cope with these two factors. It is a challenge beating the elements of Nature.

Anyway, here they are in the pan:
    A3F4DFE9-7CAA-4CD7-BFED-30888DB62D4B.jpeg
    We filled eight baggies of 250g. We had the same amount from the main crop which had more than twice the amount of plants.

I will try and remember to let you know how the combination goes next year. Thanks again, Mel.

Willowisp0801, Logan, S-H and 2 others like this.
  2. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Sorry it wasn't a bigger crop! The ones you did harvest were nice. Those vile voles would vex a vicar.

Willowisp0801, Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Daniel, love your alliteration!
    We don't plant beets--husband doesn't like them and why plant something you don't want to eat?

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well Jane— the answer there is…..grow to donate to the Food Bank. Chuckle.

Advertisement
  5. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

That's me with radishes. When I put my first raised bed in; I asked my son if they liked them. They don't like them either, so radishes are not in my garden.

Every year I plant beets, because we all like them. Every year I hope they'll do well, and every year I'm disappointed. I'm raising one of my beds this year and the other next year. I'll try in the higher bed next year and see if that helps.

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I’ll tell you Willow— when my first crop failed this year, I went out into the country and bought twenty plants from the son of a big farmer. He planted them in cells, clipped off all but one plant that came out of the seed. They all (except one) did perfectly and we got a good harvest to add to the meagre first harvest. You could try this technique. In fact, i believe that someone on here did that. Perhaps Daniel?

Another couple of things: beetroot likes to have a dash of potassium and perhaps a smidgen of phosphate. Of course you can get this in liquid or granular form for toms or houseplants. I apply these elements in the form of comfrey leaves as a mulch that gradually releases the elements it picked up from deep in the soil.

When you plant the seeds (in cells or the full ground), you need to thin the plants out and not plant them too close together.

My experience is that they do not do so well in sandy soil, as the nutrients drain away.

Red beetroot can be grown in half shade if it has to.

One needs to give water during dry spells.

Naturally I do not know why you have had trouble with your beetroot, but perhaps my notes can help in some way.

Good luck next season.

Daniel W likes this.