Beware...Invasive plants

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by gfreiherr, Jul 29, 2011.

1. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

When we were landscaping our new home in Virginia we had an area around the deck that stayed wet. I thought I found the perfect plant Houttuynia Cordata
    'Chameleon Plant'...it was for the first year.

[​IMG]
    Chameleon Plant ( photo / image / picture from gfreiherr's Garden )

It spreads by runners and when you pull it up if any piece of the root remains you have a new plant! It was popping up everywhere. When we moved to TN, it turned up in some of the plants that I divided and has continued to spread in my TN gardens. :rolleyes:

Other plants that I have had trouble with spreading everywhere are Evening Primrose, trumpet vine, lemon balm and creeping jenny.

Do you have a plant that you wish you never planted?

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Creeping buttercup!!!! :rolleyes:

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ajuga. It has a beautiful spike in the spring......but the plant is aggressive and invasive. i have a patch, mind you...NO WHERE CLOSE to the original planting, in my back lawn that is getting exponentially bigger, even as I type. :eek:

Variegated vinca, It came in a planter of spring/summer plants and now I can't pull it all out either.

Sea oats. Its an ornamental grass that has lovely seeds on it, but the birds must not eat many of them because it grows everywhere!

Cat nip....YUCKO smell and seeds everywhere, but the bees love it.

Porcelain vine... I can't get rid of all of it, canada thistles and bind weed in that area makes it impossible to get all the roots of everything out. :(

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Only the Morning Glory. I didn't give them a chance to reseed or spread. Yanked them up as soon as I realized they were not blooming and I didn't like where I had planted them.

Advertisement
  6. petals

petals Seedling

Gout weed is the bane of my life, Green and cream it looks nice but is so invasive and has a root you would not believe

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Alstromaeria. I was so proud when it bloomed for us in it's second year. Then it turned nasty. I've pulled it up all over the southern border, but the roots go deep. In the end I dug out the southern border. I found roots 30 cm down and they were as thick as my thumb! :rolleyes: I covered the entire border with a very thick layer of wet newspapers but they still manage to poke through!

Lily of the Valley is also extremely invasive, but it's got shallow roots so I manage to pull them out where I don't want them.

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

It is not often I hate a plant at first sight but I found one. Persicaria perfoliate (Mile-a-Minute Weed) does not have any redeeming qualities as far as I can see. This year I found three plants. As the plant spreads from its point of introduction in the late 1930'sor early 1940's at a nursery in York County, Pennsylvania, its metallic blue berries make a tempting meal in the fall for birds. This is a sure guarantee of its propagation to a patch of terra forma near you. It is just a matter of when not if. Who knows, some may be looking at you right now!!

Jerry

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

When i was a child my parents allowed me a space to grow and experiment with plants,..and one day coming home from school i took several cuttings of a lovely vine with white flowers,..planted it in my plot,..when my father spotted it he had an expression,.. best described as,..the after effects of being hit on the back of the head with a plank,..it was Bind Weed,..i hate this weed to this day.

10. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Thank you all for sharing your invasive plants...or is it a weed? ;)

Webster defines a weed as:

a plant that is not valued where it is growing and is usually of vigorous growth; especially : one that tends to overgrow or choke out more desirable plants

11. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

When I saw this post, I immediately thought of my Chinise Lantern plant. There was something of a "warning" on it, but silly old me thought I would be able to control it no matter what.

Right, or rather, WRONG! That warning should have been in big bold red letters! It is now all over my front garden, keeps popping up where I don't want it. When I try to dig it out, the runners are up to 6 foot (no kidding, looks like cable rather than root) :eek: .
    So everyone here who likes this pretty plant: never release it from it's container, whatever you do! :stew1:

12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh yes...Chinese Lanterns! I started with a small clump beside my basement window. Now it has crept half way around the house and pops up all over the lawn and gardens!

daisybeans likes this.
  13. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

ammmm.... for me... these
    Echinacea
    Sisyrinchium striatum
    Linaria purpurea
    Euphorbia marginata
    Digitalis
    Lychnis coronaria

And I agree with all yours...

I mean invasive, because I had this spring much more seedlings that I needed and I spent a lot of time just getting rid of them!

I also have this Clerodendron bungei - which looks really nice and dense and starts blooming now - but all the suckers it shoots up....

Droopy... ALSTRO? Which one? I've always wanted some but too expensive here. Got a pic?

14. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Calin, you don't want it! It was yellow with darker spots, nothing special at all. But I tell you again, you don't want it! Unless you put it in a tub. I think I've gotten rid of it now. Maybe.

15. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I haven't found many invasive plants that will be invasive in our growing conditions. Raspberry vines and Bindweed are just about it. The north wall of our house and all the ground along it was covered with English Ivy when we bought this house. Persistent pulling up of the vines over about a week has left the yard complete free of it.

16. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I just remembered spider wort!!!! :scheming: