Big garden !

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by mart, Jun 10, 2011.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

I thought I would show my big garden since you have seen the little one. And since I had a white melon last year I thought I would show my white tomatoes. I will let everyone here guess the variety.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from mart's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from mart's Garden )

Frank and cindjo717 like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oooh! Big, big! I love your big garden. What are you going to grow in it?

The white tomato looks strange. I don't know anything about varieties and don't care either as long as they taste good. :D

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

WOW now that's what I call a BIG garden!! :eek: How I'd love to have that amount of space to plant up.

I have to admit that I 'Googled' for white tomatoes. I didn't realise there were quite so many types!!

Here are just a few that I found:

White snowball,
    White beauty,
    White wax,
    White tomesol.

I haven't a clue which variety yours is but I'd love to try growing a white tomato plant or two myself.

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

City slicker question Mart: what do you do with a white tomato? Besides eat it. :)

I'm glad I don't have to work your Big garden.

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

I know the pic isn`t too good but on the right side there are watermelons and a row of cantaloupes. then two rows of improved pinto beans that we are picking now then a row of okra, just picked the first off of it and its only about a foot tall so far then we have 3 rows of blackeye peas and three rows of purple hull peasthat will be ready next few days. Then 4 rows of corn,, already picked about 200+ ears then last but not least a row of potatoes that are hidden behind the corn. I think thats enough to plant. Within a month the watermelons and cantaloupe will have all the dirt hidden. Sun was high when I took those pics so its a bit blurry.
    If you look behind the tomato you can see one that is on the same plant and is normal color. The variety is Rutgers which is an old variety. Not all of the plants start out this white but some do then turn a pale pink that is a bit different from other varieties. The red color is also a bit lighter when ripe. Its an old commercial variety.
    Jerry,, you do the same with this one,,,eat it !!
    P.S. Don`t look at the weeds up front!

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Wow Mart... that's not a garden... that's a "field"!
    :D
    Everything looks like it doing so well for you. Bet the farmers market is happy to see you coming!

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I found seeds for a tomato called Big White this year, so I started them, are yours this variety? Have you grown them before and do they taste similar to red ones or do they have no acid?

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well, we don`t do Farmers Market. Just friends, family and such. Hubby won`t sell anything. Just gives it away. We have a friend that gardens bigger than we do and if our corn does well and his does not then we share and vice verse. Thats the country way ! And everybody has a full freezer for winter.
    This variety for the tomato is Rutgers. Its an older variety. Occassionally they will have the almost white tomatoes on a vine and regular ones as well. Its a type that was used years ago for commercial growers because it shipped well.

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Mart... I don't know why I thought you did the markets. :-?
    Your way sounds like the best... share and share and share!