Bird Identification book recommendation

Discussion in 'Books' started by carolyn, Jun 27, 2014.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I am looking for a recommendation of a Bird Id book for my mom. It doesn't need to have every available iota of information in it...just a clear easy to use guide...any favorites out there?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. eileen
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, we have three guides. The favorite guide that is easiest to use for us is the National Geographic Field Guide to Birds of North America (ISBN 0-7922-7451-2). It divides birds into easy to identify groups; shows maps of where they are found; and gives details on both mature and juvenile birds.
    I don't know how "bird-savvy" your mom is, but this is a great guide for both beginners and for those more acquainted with birds.

Henry Johnson and carolyn like this.
  4. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

If your mom doesn't travel a lot I would suggest trying to get the birds of her home State.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have a Smithsonian handbook of the birds of North America that I really like. They are available for the different areas and they are published by DK Publishing. It also has info about the areas they are found, photos, song, behavior, breeding, nesting, population and conservation.

Advertisement
  6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

My field guide is from an ornithology class I took in college. It is pretty easy to use, and lots of pictures and comparisons. It is Golden's "A Guide To Field Identification Birds of North America" by Chandler S. Robbins, Bertel Bruun, and Herbert S. Zim. The ISBN # is 0-307-33656-5. I think it was about $10 when I got it for school.

I still use it frequently.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I will have to stop at a book store...(soon, too, but I have no idea when I would fit it in...) to look at the different ones and then order it online probably.