Blue jean quilt

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by AAnightowl, Jan 25, 2024.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

It is not done yet, so I will wait on a photo. Today, I was working on cutting up blue jeans into squares and rectangles for my blue jean quilt, and sewing pieces together. I am making it for a friend. Sometimes seams and pockets and other items can be reused in the quilt or other new project. Sometimes they will not work. I iron the pieces that I cut up, and I iron the seams open when I have made a seam.

Has anyone else made quilts or other items from old blue jeans? Some ladies around here make purses or tote bags from them too. If the jeans are in decent shape, you can rescue and reuse lot of fabric from them. If you have to remove a seam, it might be used to replace worn belt loops on other jeans. I also cut off any damaged parts, or irregular shapes (like curves). Some might be able to work with the curves, but for me the squares and rectangles work best.

I have not been able to get much sewing done for a long time, because my stash was in storage and I could not get at it.

I have some men's shirts put back to make a quilt with them like @Daniel W did with some.

Thrift stores and yard sales are good places to get used clothes to cut up for fabrics, or even odd pieces of fabric for projects.

Some of my fabrics are from a thrift store, or yard sales. Some I have bought new. But I also 'inherited' half of a friend's huge stash when she was sick and dying with cancer. She gave half to me, and half to another mutual friend. Among the things that she gave me were several quilt tops that she had never finished into quilts. I did finish those and gave them to her family. They were not fancy, but she had made them and they appreciated that. I still have a huge stash of fabrics and material to use up, I hope. I have also given away a lot of the fabrics in the stash that she gave me, because there was way too much for me to use.

I have one more blanket to make for my grandson, and then I can get at any other project I want to do. I have one I will make for my yDGD in there someplace.

And someplace in all of that is my garden and yardwork!

2. Loading...

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Well when making quilts for x-mas presents I got ahold of several sample fabric books. The size of the squares in the samples were the same sizes . All I had to do was cut them at the top from the books and sew them together add batting and backing.
    What your process is much more creative .

4. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I made a holster for pruning shears and other garden tools, out of old jeans. Also a cadet cap. Also a grocery tote bag.

The cadet caps are made using an old one that I disassembled, as a pattern. I can't wear a normal baseball cap, because the metal rivet in the center top digs holes into my scalp. The home made ones are lined and sometimes I quilt the top, so they are more comfirtable than a store bought cap, and they can be laundered just like anything else.

IMG_0723.jpeg

I think denim jeans could be used to make a quilted dog bed too, but I haven't done it.

My sewing machine struggles with denim in multilayer things like quilts. I'm concerned it will burn out the motor, So I don't use denim a lot.

I had a sofa that was made with a patterned canvas fabric, not as tough but getting there. The back and sides were almost pristine, but the cushions and top were very, very bad. I was using it for a doggie hang-out.
    I replaced it with a second hand futon. I removed a lot of fabric from the sofa, put it through several soaks with baking soda or detergent until the water came out clear, then washed in hot water and detergent in the washing machine. That fabric is nice and will likely be used for a tote bag. I made a cadet cap with some of that fabric.

IMG_0722.jpeg

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cor that’s an impressive cover, mate !
    You know lots about sewing and materials.
    I like the idea of a holster. I have garden work trousers that have loops and variously-sized pocket for my tools. Further, I try and buy brightly-coloured ones when it is time to replace a pair.

You are such a talented bloke.

Advertisement
  6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

You're all so clever, I've been thinking of making a skirt out of my hubby's old denim jeans, the length of the leg will be the length of the skirt but not patches. Not sure when I'll do it, if I'll ever do it.

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

My jean quilt blanket will not have batting because of the weight issue. Its main purpose is to cover my friend's bedding and protect it from the doggie toenails. I hope to put something for a back on it such as a spare sheet. I am using my old sewing machine because it is sturdier than my portable, but I don't care to burn up the motor either. (it is over 80 years old).

When I use the denim, I sometimes have to take the seams off because they are too heavy. It depends on what part of the item they come from and where they will be in the blanket.

8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

@Logan , you may need two or three pair of jeans to make a skirt. I have seen skirts other ladies have made from jeans. They look like they opened the leg seams, and then cut pieces to fit the open spots and make it a skirt. Usually they are kind of flared. I have not tried that yet, not sure if I will. That is how they appear to made.

I have some denim skirts that need some alterations to fit me. Maybe I can get at them soon? I want to try and make it a habit to FINISH one project before I start a new one. I have not been too good at that. I want to wear more dresses and skirts and less slacks.

Willowisp0801, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  9. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I rarely wear a ball cap, just the orange ones during hunting season so no one mistakes me for an animal and shoots me. But I do machine wash them in the gentle cycle if needed. They could also be handwashed if preferred.

Willowisp0801, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  10. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

@AAnightowl thanks, I've seen the videos making a denim skirt out of one pair of jeans but it wouldn't be wide enough for me, because hubby's jeans are too narrow that way.

11. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I don't think most ladies have a figure suited for "pencil skirts" is what I have heard them called. An A-line or flared skirt is much more comfortable.

Pacnorwest, Willowisp0801 and Logan like this.
  12. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Yes you're right.

Willowisp0801 and AAnightowl like this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

I wear ball caps all the time. It’s a good excuse to not have to fix my hair . Just pop it in a pony and plop on my hat which is nice when out mowing a few acres and shade from the sun. Even during winter when all of a sudden it stops raining and the sun pops out it’s a run out and get the project done before it rains again, a cap is quick and easy .
    My hats have a different sayings on them one …says “Barn Goddess”. Now who wudda thought?
    WOW Daniel’s cap is quite fancy never saw one as intricately detailed. I luv it.

14. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I've made one whole guilt out of jeans, which I gave to a friend. I started another one, but didn't finish it. I've also made a grocery bag, which my son still uses 25 years later. It had a pocket (actual back pocket) for a list or wallet and the handles were the waist band.

AAnightowl, Cayuga, Daniel W and 2 others like this.
  15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Willow.. your jean quilt and bag sound very fitting and creative. The Jean look is back….save those squares.

16. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

The quilt that I didn't finish was a kind of crazy quilt pattern. When I was in high school, the popular style was to split your Levi's on the outside seam and put an insert in to make bell bottoms. I did that with one pair, then this guy, who was very tall, decided he didn't want his like that so I asked if I could have the insert when his mom took it out. So what was maybe at his knee or just above was at my thigh. Later, since my son always liked those jeans,, when I started the quilt I just opened them up and put different shaped jean patches around them. Hence the crazy quilt pattern.